Hacks for removing fin?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by ks77, Sep 8, 2019.

1. ks77

ks77 New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I picked up a used board and the fin screw is rusted stuck and flat head is starting to strip. Anybody have a hack for removing a screw like this? Thanks!

2. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Modern fU box? If so cut the head off pull the fin out and then slide the screw and plate out. If it’s not pics might be helpful

GearNut likes this.
  3. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Yes, pics please, , , , ,

4. ks77

ks77 New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Here are a couple pics. Thx IMG_20190908_093521.jpg IMG_20190908_093512.jpg

5. Largoazul

Largoazul Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Maine
    Use a dremel with a metal carbide attachment. Go slowly and carefully until you take the head of the screw off. Always wear your safety glasses!

6. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Or a hacksaw blade or a file or whatever it takes to get the head off. Then the fin should come off. However if for some reason it won’t because the screw is to long then you will need to get the drill out and drill until the screw is short enough to get the fin over it. Then slide the what’s left of the screw and plate out and dispose of it in the trash.

DJR likes this.
  7. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    We had/have in orthopedics...a screw removal set(Xtract-all) and funny you mention this..i saw one at Home Depot the other day..
    It allows you drill i to the screw head and back it
    All in the same motion...
    Good luck.

8. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    Given the type of screw and its condition, the Dremel tool is probably the best option. To do a good job of "drilling", the rake of the fin needs to be out-of-the-way. Or, perhaps there is enough of the screw stiking up to be able to get some vise-grips on it?

9. ks77

ks77 New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I tried the vise grips this morning and just couldn't quite get a grip. I'll try the Dremel solution today.

10. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    Be careful and watch those fingers...