Guy Takayama.

SMUKES

Jun 23, 2009
USA California
By the time this happened I had kinda started to give less fucks about sarfboarding and many of its varied participants. Guy can sarf, but goddam he did it like his life depended on it. tex grinder n me were just casually swooptydooing in for a friendly chat and a few set waves. My previous urges to go agro and advance in the heat were gone, what used to piss me off now cracked me up.

Glide&Flow

Jun 1, 2021
CenCoastCa
Pasted the text of the ad so it remains on the thread after the ad eventually is deleted. Interesting Inertia article referenced at the end of the ad.

Guy Takayama Longboard Surfboard $1100

Specs:
Length: 9’5”
Nose: 18 3/4”
Width: 23”
Tail: 15 3/8”
Thickness: 3”
Thruster Fin Setup: 8” GT FCS center and 3.75” FCS side bites
Volume: 73 L

This board is in Excellent/New condition. It’s been ridden a total of 4 times. Twice at San O and twice at Jack’s. I got it for my wife and she does “not want to break such a beautiful board,” in the crowded lineups these days. It would be hard to hurt this board. It was created by hand in the same factory in Japan that makes CJ Nelson’s bullet proof boards such as the Sprout and Neo Classic. See the below for the description of the craftsmanship and the graphic attached for the makeup of this board.

From their website:
“The Hoku GT-2 Performance Longboard is super-versatile, performing in everything from small waves to surf that's well overhead. This surfboard is designed with XEON pigmented fiberglass deck and bottom, The GT-2 Performance Longboard is available in 9'0" and 9'5" and features a full nose with concave and a tapered rail, complimenting the parabolic outline.

This longboard has plenty of nose rocker and tail kick, making it responsive and super-maneuverable in a wide range of surf conditions. The concave shape also sets you up for length nose riders when you're ready to perch.

This surfboard is 100% hand layup with all fiberglass cloth hand laid, sanded and polished in accordance with our high-quality standards. The Hoku GT-2 is strong, lightweight and offers the quality that can only be achieved through the hand work of skilled craftsmen. This surfboard features a custom molded blank with fused cell EPS foam core. The proprietary fiberglass stringer system offers excellent flex and twist while the layers of XEON pigmented fiberglass, 10 ounces between the deck and bottom, offer superior strength, durability, and resistance to heel dents. The Hoku GT-2 features hand laid lamination with high impact epoxy resin, hot coat and hand polished for unbeatable quality.

The centerpiece of any quiver, the Hoku GT-2 Performance Longboard is the board to get if you could only have one." - Guy Takayama.

Video Review of this Board

Article and Interview About Construction and Design of These Boards

Niau

Dec 18, 2020
Necarney City
Clean looking shape in that video. I'd totally forgotten about those unique GT fins. My non-expert reaction is that the trailing edge 'scallop' is intended to reduce 'tip effect'. Symmetrically foiled surfboard fins are not aircraft wings, of course, and in my researches I found that sailboarders paid more attention than surfers to novel approaches to combat pesky cavitation. In the following quote I interpret 'downwash' in a wing as the equivalent of cavitation in a surfboard fin. Anyone with solid experience in this?

Manta-Carbon-Blac-fin-tm.jpg

Do I remember right that cavitation begins at the base and creeps towards the tip?

"Tip vortex induces downwash movement, which reduces the effective angle of attack of a wing."

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Surfside Beach, TX
By the time this happened I had kinda started to give less fucks about sarfboarding and many of its varied participants. Guy can sarf, but goddam he did it like his life depended on it. tex grinder n me were just casually swooptydooing in for a friendly chat and a few set waves. My previous urges to go agro and advance in the heat were gone, what used to piss me off now cracked me up.
haha, you said "swooptydoing"

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
The 2014 Inertia interview with Guy Takayama. Guy had a lot of misleading statements that he came up with what now is called Thunderbolt tech. No mention of the actual person that spent more then 10 years coming up with the technology. Yu Sumitomo.
kind of like ignore the man behind the curtain. Guy Takayama is the real Great WIzard of OZ.

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
The 2014 Inertia interview with Guy Takayama. Guy had a lot of misleading statements that he came up with what now is called Thunderbolt tech. No mention of the actual person that spent more then 10 years coming up with the technology. Yu Sumitomo.
kind of like ignore the man behind the curtain. Guy Takayama is the real Great WIzard of OZ.
I was offered quality control job with Sumitomo recently, I can’t leave my life behind