Guy Takayama.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
The first Boards with Thunderbolt tech we’re Guy Takayama’s Boards. I have noticed that they are no longer in the Thunderbolt line up. So I did a Google search. Here is what is odd. Seems that Guy has not posted anything in over a year. Couldn’t find any posting on his Thunderbolt Boards or custom hand shaped Boards. in fact nothing new on social media? Just old post. Hope he is OK Could be that he burned out on the Surf Industry. Lots of people that build boards just drop out. Move from the Coast,
Maybe someone here has information on Guy.

Big D

Nov 4, 2009
Maybe his part time job of posting glamour pictures of himself turned into a full time job.

TEO

Mar 10, 2021
California
I respect what he has given all of us in the surfing arena and glad he is enjoying whatever he has decided to do with his creative self. Thank you Guy for living the dream and shaping the many boards you have given us to enjoy!

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
funny enough i met Guy today.

We were parked next to each other at terra mar and i commented on his pintail glider how nice it was. He said he made it, and then i saw the Guy Takayama logo on it. I had my thunderbolt tech CJ Nelson so we talked about that for a bit. Anyway extremely nice person.
He said he is still making boards custom and not really doing the thunderbolt anymore. He shapes somewhere in Vista and said he sends it elsewhere for glassing. He showed me more of a noserider in his van and it looked sweet. I might get a board from him. He said he is 8 to 9 months turnaround time on a custom.

miscreant

May 20, 2016
funny enough i met Guy today.

We were parked next to each other at terra mar and i commented on his pintail glider how nice it was. He said he made it, and then i saw the Guy Takayama logo on it. I had my thunderbolt tech CJ Nelson so we talked about that for a bit. Anyway extremely nice person.
He said he is still making boards custom and not really doing the thunderbolt anymore. He shapes somewhere in Vista and said he sends it elsewhere for glassing. He showed me more of a noserider in his van and it looked sweet. I might get a board from him. He said he is 8 to 9 months turnaround time on a custom.
Did you inquire as to why he has the position: “not really doing the thunderbolt anymore “ ?

Reactions: DJR

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
Did you inquire as to why he has the position: “not really doing the thunderbolt anymore “ ?
Not really, he said something about when he started doing it that it was in Japan and then now it’s in China. Did not really get deep into it nor did he seem negative about it. Just made it sound like he was doing more custom traditional poly boards by hand right now.

this was all in like a 7 minute conversation and I never actually asked if he was still producing thunderbolt stuff.

moreso anyone ever ride one of his poly noseriders?