Guide to Surf/Skate Boards

pintail

Feb 19, 2004
LA, California
Never liked the somewhat notchy feel of surfskate trucks. The closest feel I've found is using Original trucks on my Sector 9 pintail. They're very loose and very easily adjustable to one's liking and skill, really feel like surfing IMO.

Budthedog

Dec 22, 2020
California
I got a swelltech. One of the few I think not in the video... front truck has springs and can rotate all the way around. It feels like the real deal.

Brigham03

Nov 24, 2020
RI
picked up a Smoothstar and it feels a lot like being in the water. Adjustable spring in the front truck allows you to change the tension for more or less additional pivot. They're hard to get right now but I'd rec it to anyone looking. They stopped selling the trucks separately so unfortunately you have to buy a deck as well.

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
picked up a Smoothstar and it feels a lot like being in the water. Adjustable spring in the front truck allows you to change the tension for more or less additional pivot. They're hard to get right now but I'd rec it to anyone looking. They stopped selling the trucks separately so unfortunately you have to buy a deck as well.
I have a Smooth Star as well - wasn't cheap and had to wait 3 months for it to ship from Australia - but it's really, really fun and worth the wait. I wouldn't say carving turns feel the same as surfing... but the feeling of pumping up and down the face of a wave feels almost identical on the SmoothStar. Really feels night and day compared to other surf skates I've had. I got this one:

After 6 months or so on it - I picked up a longer deck (40in blank) - just to mix it up.

Wanted to better simulate stepping / shuffling back for bottom turns... couldn't really do that on the 34in deck.

I found that carving turns feels a little bit closer to surfing with the longer deck... able to get my weight back, pivot and swing a bit more without bailing - That front SmoothStar truck gets real squirrely if your weight isn't over it - but the longer deck provides way more stability.

Coolest thing is I'm getting a lot more use out of it with the longer deck - it's so much more stable I'm like running quick errands with it and taking it in spots that are a bit more crowded because it's so much easier to control. Wasn't really doing that with the shorter deck.