Greg Noll Stemwinder Valuation help

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by jslmiles, Oct 8, 2019.

1. jslmiles

jslmiles New Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Hello all,

I have my father's Greg Noll Stemwinder board (a few pics attached). I'm trying to understand a rough value. There is some minor damage, but overall decent shape. 9ft 10 inches with the single fin. Any guidance is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John
    IMG_3135.JPEG IMG_3136.JPEG IMG_3139.JPEG IMG_3140.JPEG IMG_3138.JPEG IMG_3137.JPEG

DanSan, Bummer Dude, Knots and 2 others like this.
  2. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    I don’t want to say who but someone on this forum has the twin to that one. I’m sure he would like to know as well

3. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Since it was your dads I’m going with priceless. Get it fix professionally and ride it on occasion. Whatever you do don’t have a leash plug installed and don’t remove the flower sticker from the fin. :)

DKNJ, Bighouse and strez like this.
  4. Largoazul

Largoazul Active Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Maine
    My 2 cents. There are no set prices for antique surfboards. It comes down to how badly someone wants something(what someone is willing to pay) / how many interested parties there are\what you are willing to accept to part with. My advice if you do decide to sell is strike while the iron is hot and while interest is there. Good luck.

5. Single_Fin_Orange

Single_Fin_Orange Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Florida
    I agree with this 100%, plus this board looks like it will clean up great. That ugly repair will sand right off and the other dings look small enough to fix clear without any issues. I'm crazy sentimental about boards. I'll never sell my Dad's board, but I did put a pretty bad ding in it a few years ago and almost cried. I just try to ride it on special days now.

6. Choked out surfer​

Choked out surfer​ Active Member

Jul 24, 2014
    1963 Makaha gun by Greg Noll, with Black walnut stinger and rails, one of one

Full.jpg

7. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I am the one who has essentially the twin of your Stemwinder. One sold in NJ this year for $4000. What will yours bring? Who knows? They are rare, but not as prized as a DaCat. They only made them for a very short time and allegedly only sold them on the East Coast. If you put it up for sale on Craig's list, it will go for nothing. Find the right person and you will get a lot more, closer to that $4000 figure. Does yours say love in the green paint on the bottom like mine does?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 11:43 PM
  8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Also too don’t loose that fin. The system was poor and many of the fins were lost or are in poor condition. You are getting some good advice in my opinion. Very nice board!

Artz likes this.
  9. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Agreed. The Stemwinder is by far my favorite Noll shape and this is a particularly sweet one, the damage notwithstanding. The resin work and the perfect condition fin make it a tempting board. Basenji is correct about Da Cats being more valuable even though they made thousands vs. maybe a couple hundred Stemwinders (I could be off here). Here’s to hoping you fix and ride it but good luck either way.