Greg Noll "da cat" and Lightning Bolt Jerry Lopez

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by 306Bing, Aug 28, 2018.

1. 306Bing

306Bing Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    By all means, talk $$'s here. We should be treating each other with some respect. Better to be in open then find out a member stole a board from you or sold you a lemon. we all want to know anyway

Gill and JBorbone like this.
  2. Surph

Surph Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    4BB6D3E5-8DEF-4FA8-8B91-3C19D77306DD.jpeg Original has the dimples and pops in like you said, later boards had a screw to keep it from popping out. Correct the material is polypropylene not lexan (oops) but the one that Juan made me is solid fiberglass and fits in the box snug with a bit of tinkering. I got a replacement to surf with and keep the original from getting lost. Da cats and stemwinders use this fin guessing an original good condition fin if you could locate one would be $500+ ...more for the marbled ones. I believe I paid around $175 from Juan for the new one. See photo: Original on the left and reproduction on the right. I am not selling either fin, but looks like there is a poly pro reproduction fin on eBay.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I agree with all the above. ^^^^^^

4. Squid

Squid Active Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Surph, I was curious if you noticed any difference between the OG fin and the fiberglass reproduction? Seems as though the vintage abs, lexan and poly fins were not foiled. Not sure if that was a limitation of the material or just fin design at the time. I would guess a fiberglass reproduction would be an improvement but I could be wrong. Or, the improvement is so slight it’s not noticeable. Wanted to hear what you had to say about this as I am contemplating getting a fin from Juan.

5. Surph

Surph Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Never rode with the original fin. It is a wide box, both are thicker than a modern fin. The reproduction has more of a channel vs dimples so I used a small amount of electrical tape to keep it tight.

6. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    If it were me, I'd pay to rout out that box and replace it with a new Bahne long box and then have Rainbow of Jenson or Allison make a "Gato" out of a thick volon panel, foil it right and then start from there.
    Remember the saying; "Every board will ride better with a Greenough templated fin" - Marc Andreini. Lots of room to go there. Heed.

7. Surph

Surph Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Why would you want to take an original board and add a modern fin box, order a custom fin. Seems like a lot of unnecessary work when there is a reproduction fin that maintains originality.

8. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Because of the fact there's a half dozen fins that Chuck Ames, etc. make that would work better for that board than the original. And the length of a Bahne box for surf/spot conditions based on the fin in the box and ease of use to adjust.
    But then again, you can't put lipstick on a pig (or a cat).

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  9. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    woonsocket, RI. 02895
    Thanks, I have to say the colors are better in person than in the pictures. If a board can be sexy, this one is with the wings and vibrant graphics. The wax on the board is over 35 years old. This board has character.

10. Eugene

Eugene New Member

Aug 19, 2018
    woonsocket, RI. 02895