Great Shake-out and Tsunami warnings

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by dsquare, Oct 15, 2020.

1. dsquare

dsquare Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Today is the annual "Great ShakeOut" for many states, especially the west coast of the United States. Many of us live in areas that are affected by earthquakes or would be affected by tsunami's that accompany them. The PNW is expecting "the big one" any day now (could be now- could be in 10000 years, "any day" in geological time-lines terms).

Take some time to do a quick inventory of your supplies. Know your evacuation routes if you are in a Tsunami or Lahar zone. Have contact plans for separated families, etc. Keep supplies and emergency food storage around for the days following an emergency. If you don't know what or how to stock up on emergency supplies google it or ask your Mormon neighbors.

If "the big one" hits- it could be weeks before normal supply lines are restored. Coastal areas from the north of San Francisco to Alaska will be virtually ignored if a major disaster hits and the Bay area, Portland, Seattle, Anchorage, etc., are impacted. The population won't justify the resources immediately. Worst case scenario, major earthquake disrupts logistical routes and creates immediate service needs in high population areas. Earthquake creates large tsunami that devastates coastal communities, those areas are cut-off from support and may not even emerge from the water, leaving beachside communities underwater with little to no immediate support for the 2,500 survivors sitting on rooftops because of the 250,000 people in the city needing attention.

My point is: prepare yourself as best you can with what you will need for a couple weeks of tough living. On day 16 when the coast guard helicopter from Nova Scotia finally pulls you off of the raft you constructed from downed trees you will thank me.

We spent a lot of time going over this scenario in Westport when I lived there. I even got to show off the work our schools did to prepare for national and educational media. If you live in the Seattle TV area you probably have heard my voice or seen me holding a megaphone on the news in the last four years.

https://oceantoday.noaa.gov/fullmoon-strongerthanwaves/welcome.html

Just wanted you all to have a wonderful life!

MG95, sonOsea and sightpoint like this.
  2. sightpoint

sightpoint Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Wait, the coast guard would come all the way from Nova Scotia? Damn.

3. dsquare

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    In a major disaster, my point is that assistance in rural areas will come from the other side of the continent and other countries. In the PNW they relocated the "Big One" emergency management central location from Yakima to Spokane because Yakima is too close to the area of concern. So if they plan on assisting the greater Seattle area from Spokane, imagine how far away the rural communities will be getting assistance from (Nova Scotia might be a tad exaggerated).

4. sonOsea

sonOsea Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    Have lived in a Tsunami zone most of my life and now just a few feet above.
    We Have a plan, food, water, batteries, fishing gear, guns and gas, etc.

7.5 off Sand point Alaska today.... Get ready, be ready is the way.

Thanks @dsquare Good post.

dsquare likes this.
  5. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    But, then again, if you really want to give your butt hole a Biblical Sized pucker, , , , read up on the "Hilina Slump" on the Big Island.

How'd you like to be woken up in Los Angeles at 2am by a tsunami alert that tells you that a 100 foot tsunami is headed your way at 500 MPH and that, as such, you have only 4 hours to get to Really High Ground?

Oh and, here on the East Coast we could have the same kind of thing if/when one of the Canary Islands does the same kind of thing. It's estimated that it would wash over the whole state of Florida, right into the Gulf.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020 at 3:59 PM
  6. dsquare

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    That is some serious butt puckering reading material. Maybe I should move to Wyoming.... oh wait.

7. noparking

noparking Active Member

Sep 26, 2013
    The Tetons
    take it from my experience, you don't want to do that either for a lot of different reasons. i'll be headed back out to Wyoming in a week and won't see the ocean for another 9 months. hell, depending on the day I'd welcome that thing blowing up.

8. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
  9. dsquare

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    That article was popular in the PNW! Right about the time it came out, the school I would become the principal for was completing their construction on the only purpose built Tsunami evacuation building in the America's. Built without help from FEMA, without help from the State (other than normal school capital building funds), and without help from the county emergency management group; though all three would eventually claim they worked in partnership with the school district. They did not, new building codes had to be established and the district and community funded the project entirely. Their "partnership" included bringing guests from all over the globe to walk thru the site and accompany media on tours.

Still- It's a bitchin project!

https://www.wired.com/2016/12/ordinary-looking-gym-thats-built-survive-tsunami/

SdSurferguy likes this.
  10. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    That slide wave from a Canary Island volcano is thought to be capable of wiping out most of the east coast and inland to the next state over.