GOT GLASS? SUMMER 2021 SHORTAGE

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
I talked to FGH (Fiberglass Hawaii) yesterday.
So far they haven't been impacted by the shortage other than a few less used items.
Fiberglass, vinylester resin, etc. ample inventory.
The BIG users of glass (fiberglass pools, boat builders) may be feeling the pinch more than most.

Makes me think back to when I was still repairing boards & a guy sent down a Yater Surftech to me he had snapped at Ocean Beach. Renny looked at it and told me "yeah, these boards don't have ANY glass except on the curved nose blocks I devised because the veneer can't wrap round noses. There's 1, maybe 2 ounce cloth just over the nose & tail blocks. It's EPS foam, vac bagged veneer, see the super fine diagonal rail cuts to allow them to wrap the veneer,
the board is then put up on a spindle and a guy with a free air system sprays the board with urethane.... C.OB.R.A. is an incredible state of the art place".

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA
It goes to show what happens when you slam on the brakes of a fast moving supply freight train. It abruptly stops and then takes a long time to get back up to speed. In the case of the surfboard industry. I think the problem has more to do with labor than anything else. It was starting to become a problem before the pandemic.

SDBoardHoarder

Sep 28, 2018
San Diego
Coming from the waterproofing/concrete coatings world (epoxies, polys, acrylic, fiberglass, etc) , we have still been able to get truckloads of fiberglass without any increases but resins are what have gone through the roof. The big freeze in the south is what started the problem, and covid crunch just made it 10 times worse. So far no relief in sight, hopeful for 2022 getting back to 'normal'