Good wave board for SD

Bryce

Nov 6, 2017
_
Love Gary's shapes; his bonzers would be a good good-wave board as the three I've had all had some significant flip in the nose. Made groveling kind of a bear but when it turned on, it was great. Had a magic 7'6" I sold to @Bryce whose father enjoyed it for a long while after me.

Slingerland might also be a good resource as well, reasonable last I checked and his shapes are excellent, foiled, can't-go-wrong kind of boards. Not sure how to contact him now because of the Surfy Surfy closure but I'm sure JP St. Pierre could help connect you, or Jon Peck at Christenson/Moonlight since most of Mike's boards were going through Moonlight or Global Glassing.
I love the 7'6" Gary Hannel Quad egg. My dad loves it too so I don't get to ride it often!

It has the perfect amount of drive and hold. Big clean faces are a dream on that board.

SDBoardHoarder

Sep 28, 2018
San Diego
6’6 tracker with bonzer glass ons. I’ve gotten a bit fat, got a 7’0 Campbell bros 5 fin bonzer speed egg getting glassed to likely replace.

B678E3FB-EDA5-415E-83AA-972D22E7091D.jpeg
4422F83F-EA1F-4101-8CD7-4F9CB04C864E.jpeg

skurp

Feb 11, 2021
San Diego
Love Gary's shapes; his bonzers would be a good good-wave board as the three I've had all had some significant flip in the nose. Made groveling kind of a bear but when it turned on, it was great. Had a magic 7'6" I sold to @Bryce whose father enjoyed it for a long while after me.

Slingerland might also be a good resource as well, reasonable last I checked and his shapes are excellent, foiled, can't-go-wrong kind of boards. Not sure how to contact him now because of the Surfy Surfy closure but I'm sure JP St. Pierre could help connect you, or Jon Peck at Christenson/Moonlight since most of Mike's boards were going through Moonlight or Global Glassing.

Re: "Made groveling kind of a bear" Agreed - board is not an easy paddler. May be the only knock on it. I've only had it out in good surf... so getting into waves hasn't been hard, but paddling back out has been! haha - all good, hopefully it gets me into better paddling shape for summer groveling.

Bummer Dude

Jul 8, 2019
Oak View
There is going to be a lot of subjectivity here, but personally when its bigger I like a nice pintail. My go-to is a 9´3˝ LARMO Winter Magic. It's a 2+1 so I'll set it up with the following options: 8.5˝ Skip or Thruster with Skip Mediums.

I'm waiting on a new board with a 2+1 and thinking about having an alternative thruster set-up. How do you run yours, is it fcs with the fcs center adapter? Mine will be futures boxes, so thinking about doing big side bites or futures thruster set + small box center fin. Looks like SD fin co does the skip template as center box trailer - that plus the futures set could maybe the ticket.

Sorry to stray off topic. Here's a good wave board for SD https://offerup.com/item/detail/1075858473/?_branch_match_id=890990835386891202.

Camel Rock

Mar 23, 2020
San Diego
I actually have both the fcs adapter and the shorties from SD fin co. Mark at Happy Battle stocks them. Simpler and less fuss then the adaptor, but if you want to use the matching set, the adaptor is nice, but not really applicable with futures. Just check fin sizes. For example, I believe skips thruster setup has a smaller back fin by about 1/4 inch to my memory.
DC8BBB7D-79B8-4DE2-BAD7-1F32A99FE413.jpeg

Camel Rock

Mar 23, 2020
San Diego
I'm waiting on a new board with a 2+1 and thinking about having an alternative thruster set-up. How do you run yours, is it fcs with the fcs center adapter? Mine will be futures boxes, so thinking about doing big side bites or futures thruster set + small box center fin. Looks like SD fin co does the skip template as center box trailer - that plus the futures set could maybe the ticket.

Sorry to stray off topic. Here's a good wave board for SD https://offerup.com/item/detail/1075858473/?_branch_match_id=890990835386891202.
Also that K model!!!!!!!!

Bummer Dude

Jul 8, 2019
Oak View
I actually have both the fcs adapter and the shorties from SD fin co. Mark at Happy Battle stocks them. Simpler and less fuss then the adaptor, but if you want to use the matching set, the adaptor is nice, but not really applicable with futures. Just check fin sizes. For example, I believe skips thruster setup has a smaller back fin by about 1/4 inch to my memory. View attachment 28072

Nice, I'll reach out to Mark. Thanks!

tuskedbeast

May 25, 2020
San Francisco
I recently picked up a 7'6" egg from Gary Hanel - for bigger/winter stuff. Got it as a tri-fin not a bonzer. Only had it out like 4 times... but so far surfs great in shoulder high - good amount of rocker, really intuitive to ride. Feels like it could easily handle bigger. 2nd board i've had from Gary. Reasonably priced - 8 week turnaround for a custom. He's been shaping boards for San Diego waves and surfers for like 40 yrs, FWIW. Based in Leucadia.

View attachment 28031
Love the outline. Have a rocker/foil shot handy? Would love to see that.