Glider length?

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Stamps seems to be one of those guys who can just nail it... I would be interested to hear what he suggests when posed with the same question in your first post SnF

fluidworks

Dec 1, 2019
San Luis Obispo, CA
Yeah that’s a nice ride for sure. I’m on the other side of the spectrum right now. I’m done buying pretty boards for a while, So tired of getting nearly ran into by beginners on a POS while riding my customs. If I wasn’t heading to Maui next week I’d scoop that up, it would fit much easier in my van than my 11 footer...

I agree on the pretty aspect, and I know what you mean in regards to crowds. I just meant that sanded finished, lightly glassed boards and my bony body don't mix.

Back on topic, I went from a 11' glider, and decided I wanted to upsize to 12' After making the switch, I realized boards of this length and the central coast conditions don't really mix. There aren't enough rolling, long breaks like SD county to really maximize the rail line. As it is, I end up fighting the length to make the takeoff most of the time. That said I'm going to go back to a 11' for my longest board up here, and adding in a 10'6" speed shape this year with more rocker to allow more usability on the local beach breaks.

dorado

Jul 1, 2007
Charles Mencel In NJ swears by EPS in his gliders especially for East coast waves .

Ricksurfin

Jun 9, 2019
San Clemente, CA
Yeah that’s a nice ride for sure. I’m on the other side of the spectrum right now. I’m done buying pretty boards for a while, So tired of getting nearly ran into by beginners on a POS while riding my customs. If I wasn’t heading to Maui next week I’d scoop that up, it would fit much easier in my van than my 11 footer...
Pretty boards are good for your ego, but I can really limit your surfing. I know I surf much better on a well used board as I’m not worried about consequences. The idea of damaging a beautifully shaped and glassed board is in the back of my head and I’d rather not think about it and take off on anything I want.

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
Mahalo for all the input, much of the advice resonated, and so after a back and forth with Tim, Stamps now is building a lighter 10'6 epoxy RP speed shape with more template and rocker curve than a classic parallel railed, low rockered pin glider...should work well in steeper, snappier beachbreak and have more of an upper range as well...and be a relatively easy tote over those sand dunes...

dorado

Jul 1, 2007
I’m looking to make one for outer bar / point exploration in an area that they do step offs and use foils . There’s a lot of current but it’s generally a peeling wave not super top to bottom but goes for a long way until it hits deep water .
going eps for sure . I also want it for cross country peak jumping from jetty to jetty on hyped hurricane swells when it’s walled up and I’m done packing tubes on the thruster and tides higher . Def going eps but unclear if I wanna go full 11’3 or 10’6-10’10