Glider length?

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
asking from those with experience...have some new boards in the pipeline, need to identify what length for a glider...80% fast Oregon beachbreak, 20% travel use down to SoCal and back. Elder still quick to his feet, 6'2 x 180#...thinking 10'6 as an all arounder?

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
yep. that would be a good length especially if beach breaks are involved. Not sure what from who you are looking at but the LeSliviar from Josh Hall would check all those boxes mentioned. and have good resale value if you hate it;)

Sky

Aug 30, 2020
Southern California
Not to highjack your thread, but I am also glider curious. Looking at more of a point and shoot glider, feel the wave, trim and glide, as well as get in super early. Would also be used at beach breaks as well as reef breaks and will plan on using it in big surf (8-12+ Sunset Cliffs SD). Any recommendations on size and shape would be appreciated, thanks.

Ripple Rider

Aug 23, 2008
11' to 12' - I surf both sides of the Atlantic - mostly beach breaks. I love my gliders in waist high and above conditions. Getting in as early as possible - even before the wave breaks - gives you so much more to play with and you are often able to connect sections that wouldnt be available to you on shorter gear.

endoftheroad

Mar 15, 2019
B.C.
I’d say that as others have noted , that a classic San Diego glider is not really what you need . The flat rockers on most I’ve tried make them difficult to ‘fit’ in less than perfect beachbreak surf. The length isn’t the issue , it’s the really flat rocker that is supposed to cruise across lined up flat sections of water... some rocker helps versatility a lot.. if I had 2 gliders I’d have one really flat one.
Jim Phillips does his glider in two rocker options- I’ve owned both and while the flatter one had the ultimate glide in perfect gutless surf, his ‘ Hawaiian’ rocker board fits in a huge variety of waves , still trims beautifully when it’s tiny and perfect at 11’...
I’m sure any of the quality shapers can modify for your PNW needs , but Jim has it figured out..