gettin old shoulder pain ?

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
a quiet cabin in the woods
SnF - what age were you when you had the shoulder op please?
66 (will be 71 next week). Had a partial full thickness tear where a bone spur was rubbing (common), managed it that way for well over a decade with bands. Finally snapped one day when trying to duck dive an OH wave... was in a a crowd or would have ditched. In hindsight, should have gone for repair while still partially intact.
Bands and range of motion stretches do make a difference. And for cold water surfers, don't underestimate the additional strain those thick gloves put on your shoulders...work those bands now to have your shoulders later, and consider your paddling technique.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Thanks, I will take that advice - I only use a band when it aches, but should really do it more often to keep what strength I have.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Have had multiple ortho repairs besides hip, rotator repair easily the hardest recovery, first few months just suck, full year out of the water.
My long time surf buddy of over 50 years got that rotator surgery and the surgeon botched the job. He never surfed again and he was a monster in the water in his prime. I am hesitant because of what I witnessed.

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
a quiet cabin in the woods
My long time surf buddy of over 50 years got that rotator surgery and the surgeon botched the job. He never surfed again and he was a monster in the water in his prime. I am hesitant because of what I witnessed.
happened to a good friend as well....why even with top rated sports med orthos, there are no guarenteed outcomes...

steeltoe

Jan 30, 2020
ECF
I had shoulder surgery last year. Back surfing in 3 months. Rotator cuff repair with 80% detachment. Almost to full strength now. Keeps improving. I have to express my gratitude to a great orthopedic surgeon who specializes in shoulders. I am 58. Shoulder pain started 10 years ago or more. I have had 5 or 6 shots in it to keep the pain away but all the while the bone spurs caused damage.

TurtleTime

Dec 25, 2018
San Clemente
I'm only just turning 50 but have had neck/shoulder issues for at least a decade. About 4 yrs ago had surgery on my left AC joint. They basically shave your collar bone down to allow more space. Had bothered me for years but eventually started to really bother me in the water. It did help and have done a TON of PT...but I need to get it looked at again. My right side is also F'd up. I basically have arthritis in neck/shoulders and the amount of cartilage left is not great...

Sleeping is pretty much terrible. Toss/turn all night...if anyone can rec. a pillow for side sleepers? i've tried a bunch, they all suck.

Stretching, acupuncture, massage all help. Oh and my ears are screwed. Already had 1 drilled, its bad again...

steeltoe

Jan 30, 2020
ECF
I'm only just turning 50 but have had neck/shoulder issues for at least a decade. About 4 yrs ago had surgery on my left AC joint. They basically shave your collar bone down to allow more space. Had bothered me for years but eventually started to really bother me in the water. It did help and have done a TON of PT...but I need to get it looked at again. My right side is also F'd up. I basically have arthritis in neck/shoulders and the amount of cartilage left is not great...

Sleeping is pretty much terrible. Toss/turn all night...if anyone can rec. a pillow for side sleepers? i've tried a bunch, they all suck.

Stretching, acupuncture, massage all help. Oh and my ears are screwed. Already had 1 drilled, its bad again...
Believe it or not......I use a "My pillow". I am a side sleeper and I love it.