gettin old shoulder pain ?

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
If you don’t have a shellfish allergy, I recommend Krill Oil supplements. You can order them Thru Amazon. Makes a difference in my 43yr old body.
Just a caution, if you are on blood thinners don't do this without talking with your doc.

cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
Long Beach CA
Just curious - you get good sleep? Mine is worse, in fact all my little demons, are worse if if I've had a run of crap sleep.

Not always easy with small people in the house though!
I do Besides this it may be early tendinitis cause my elbow and hands really get it I’m fine surfing bout the only time it feels Ok. I am bad at stretching been trying to more . My normal day is waking up at 2-3 driving a semi or crane for 3 hours then running it then driving home in it then sometimes eating and going to bed so I know that has a lot to do with it . And old age and trying to cram life into small moments surfing and what not. I’m one of those sure hope this goes away and drinks a beer and try’s to forget about it so I’m destined to have creeks and cracks and be that grumpy old hobble guy. But I will look into some stretches and Dave the CBd is a good call!

Salinity

May 11, 2016
USA Rhode Island
I had a very similar nerve-like annoying radiating pain / sensation that was associated with my now-diagnosed rotator cuff tear. Headed for surgery on Friday.
I highly recommend looking into trigger point therapy (you can do it yourself with a lacrosse ball against the wall). It has worked wonders for my other shoulder (impingement) and allowed some marked relief even in the face of a full thickness tear in my supraspinatus. The “Trigger Point Therapy Workbook” is a great resource - that and a lacrosse ball and you’re on your way.

Couch

Mar 18, 2018
Santa Barbara
Good luck and hope you get back in the water.....after 50, stuff just doesn't heal and feel like it used to. Used to surf all day, go out that night with friends and wake up at the crack of dawn to hit it again......if I did that now, you'd be writing a "Couch was a good dude post!"

Couch

Salinity

May 11, 2016
USA Rhode Island
Thank guys - it’s a bummer (I’m 46), but I’ve come to terms with it and hope I can come out on the other side even stronger.

whatever you do, try to out in a bit of extra time to take care of your shoulders.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Unfortunately all those old injuries start to catch up with you and once the body get to that age, it seems like it all jumps out at you at once. Shoulder injuries can end it all if you can no longer paddle a board. I have so many now, I just live with it. I'm almost 70 now, but it all started around 5 years ago. I am lucky that I have not had to have hip surgery. That has afflicted many of my old surfing buds.

paipodude

Oct 27, 2019
Maryland, or By-the-Sea
Find a good ortho or neuro doc to diagnose the source of the pain. Your initial description, "So i have the kinked neck, stiff back..." could point in several directions. About ten years ago I experienced my first episode of pain beginning at the base of my neck and radiating down my shoulder along the outside of my elbow to my fingers. The source was stenosis of my lower neck spine, the cervical section, specifically the C4/C5. The cause was probably leaning forward over too much (and no doubt a couple of head plants or other impacts causing "stingers" over the years). The neuro doc started with x-rays, then CAT scan and finally MRI. The mitigation was PT, walking and going ergonomic. Walking ended up being the best treatment of all. See the doc. With all the electronic pictures the PT can start a treatment plan.

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
Unfortunately all those old injuries start to catch up with you and once the body get to that age, it seems like it all jumps out at you at once. Shoulder injuries can end it all if you can no longer paddle a board. I have so many now, I just live with it. I'm almost 70 now, but it all started around 5 years ago. I am lucky that I have not had to have hip surgery. That has afflicted many of my old surfing buds.
yea, beat to crap at would be a fair description for most of us 70+ elders who got after it..why it's so important to keep fit, eat right, work out routine.
Regarding hips - had one replaced 6 years ago, no biggie, just need to focus on not leaving the leg dangling during a wipeout.
Have had multiple ortho repairs besides hip, rotator repair easily the hardest recovery, first few months just suck, full year out of the water.
On the other hand, all the injuries, wear and tear? From having so much friggin fun over the years.. :)