gettin old shoulder pain ?

cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
Long Beach CA
Im getting old quick lots of kinks and aches.... alot do to my job. I do alot of driving in a crane long rough and bouncy then get out and climb all over it like a monkey in awkward positions and swing beaters, to much jumping down off trailers when i shouldnt over the past 17 years. So i have the kinked neck, stiff back, ache knees in general. Then i run a crane all day in the middle of all this. And the below pain affects that greatly

but recently i dont know how or what i did to my shoulder, but in the front top part of where my arm rotates i have a dull almost sciatica pain that runs down to my elbow and my hand. it does feel weak if i do a full rotation say im washing a truck and my arms over my head. and at night is the worse. I wake up constantly if i sleep on it wrong with my arm and my shoulder throbbing.

anyone experienced this before. Im sure surfing triggers it a bit but it doesnt seem to effect my paddling. been a couple weeks now maybe even over a month. torn rotator cup?

SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
USA New Jersey
My Sister-in-Law just had rotator cuff surgery. She’s wearing a sling for 6 weeks I think, then PT. Others on here know way more about shoulder injury. Hoping for the best.

Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
France
I know exactly what you're refering to... and I feel for you. Got to a point two years ago where I couldn't paddle to save my life.

Take a look for the thread, there were some good suggestions. Get a solid diagnosis, find a good PT, and then pursue other options as needed. In my case, it was arthritis, compressed discs, and stress.... I ended up doing a lot of PT and then getting an infiltration (cortizone, PRP) and I haven't had a single issue beyond a tingling index since then. But get a good diagnosis to get started, as everyone's specific causes and symptoms vary.

Good luck to you through this.

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
I had a similar issue and my Dr said it was common when you reach your 40’s. I don’t recall what he called it but made strong recommendations not to rest my arm on the console when driving. I have found over the last couple of yrs that CBD has worked well although in your line of work I’m not sure that is an option. I would consult your physician for expert advise. :)

michael

Apr 19, 2017
NJ
As a younger member of the shoulder pain club, my chirpractor recommended daily yoga (with 2m of cow face pose on each side) and said I’ll be right as rain. Helps, when I actually do it.
image.jpg

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
I know you guys aren’t super far from my neck of the woods @cheyneskeezer so let me know if you need a good PT. Super happy with where I’m going and they have a lot of surfing clients (including a well-known big wave pro) so they can adjust exercises and stretches specifically for that.

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
I had a very similar pain, Inc the creep into the elbow/wrist

Doctor said to rest, it got worst. Went to a physio who worked with the England rugby team and she said it needed strengthening and rebalancing. She gave me a few, initially uncomfortable, exercises and stretches to do regularly and it seems to have worked.

I won't give you the details of the exercises as I think shoulders are complicated and a diagnosis is key. But for me, it was a strength/balance thing and that 2nd opinion was golden

Planktom

Dec 27, 2016
Devon, UK
Just curious - you get good sleep? Mine is worse, in fact all my little demons, are worse if if I've had a run of crap sleep.

Not always easy with small people in the house though!