General question about gliders

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by WhiteRussian, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, I didn't get out on Friday to test the glider on small but ridable waves. I am told that it was the best day of a small week. :( Today was also small and a little worse, but it was clean with low tide, off shores and ridable. I was amazed. I thought it needed a bit more surf than we had, but I gave it a shot anyway. I was amazed!!! I never thought a huge glider (11'7") would work on mid thigh to slightly bigger surf. I was getting long rides that I wouldn't have gotten on my JQ nose rider or my every day board. The glider is fast and fun!!! It won't be my every day board, but it will get more use than I expected.

Bighouse, DJR and Tlri like this.
  2. Nilus

Nilus Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Took my 10' Frye eagle out for the first time in a long time today. (Super small, clean Old Man's.) I know there are no rules ... I'm hardly an expert ... and all the other caveats you can think of but ...

For me, everything SDSG (Erik) said earlier in this thread is 100% dead on -- from appropriate conditions to rider's approach. I think the eagle is actually the hardest board in my (pretty large) quiver to surf and I treat it with the most respect because of its size and heft. In other words, I ride it way more carefully on a two foot day than I ride a 5'10 on a seven foot day.

It's a slow motion game of chess. Also, the board is so flat and sharp-edged that it will bite you if you aren't paying complete attention at all times.

I've heard it said that "gliders" are thinking man's boards, which makes total sense to me. You use your brain more than your body.

And to me, every board Frye makes is a glider. :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    flyer17, Planktom, DJR and 4 others like this.
  3. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I totally agree! I tell people that riding a glider is all about board management in the wave and where you are on the board. I am having a blast on mine.

DJR and Andrew Johnson like this.
  4. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Finally took my new custom, 10' × 23 × 3" single fin Pieter Surfboards glider out in clean, head high south swell at Church for a shake down. Fast, fluid and, dare I say it: SUPER FUN

Andreini turned me on to building them light so, double 4 oz glass top and bottom, sanded finish. Added Kevlar strips at T-band stringer top and bottom for enhanced strength. Plus, the Kevlar strip is a unique look. Final weight was 17.4 lbs sans wax and fin.

Had an extraordinary experience working w Pieter on this order. He spent a lot of time asking me questions about what features are most important to me in a glider. I told him, light weight, speed, top to bottom carving and easy entry in critical waves. I sent him the clip at end of Hot Gen where Nat and Bob shred Honolua Bay for inspiration. He got inspired, that's for sure

Pieter delivered a board - 6 weeks after receipt of deposit (via Hawaiian Air Cargo) - with custom fin, that exceeded expectations and at a price that was more than competitive to what I would of paid for custom in San Diego.

100% hand crafted in Australia, by the man, himself. I can't say enough good things about the guy: smart, focused on providing best possible experience to his customers, humble, hardworking, very knowledgeable from 30+ years of experience as a shaper and fair.

Check him out!
    STOKED!!!

5. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    I’ve been pondering having Hilbers shape a long blady ant like a 10’6 I think it would work early entry trim and work well off the rail was gonna pick his brain. Brian is good about telling you something won’t work. I know cuda has that 10’2

6. poidog

poidog Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Bump for Ekim's question about belly or concave. My only glider experience is with a 10' RC eps I rode the piss out of, pretty much the only board I rode for a couple of years. Belly throughout. Definitely not point and shoot, rail to rail transitions so easy and smooth I wondered why other models had concaves. (I asked Ricky why the belly. Ricky: "Rides better." Not name-dropping btw, he doesn't know me from Adam, aside from a guy who's ordered a lot of boards over the years and calls from time to time with stupid questions.)

Just picked up JMJackfish's 9'10" Phil, obviously not a glider but there are similarities. Belly throughout, but this time with the weight I prefer (not crazy about eps), volan 8+6 deck, 8 bottom, again, definitely not point and shoot, rail to rail like buttah. Instant glide, instant love. Serious, screaming-at-the-stars-at-midnight love.

But I'm talking about boards 10' and under (boards over 10' don't work for me in our short period windswell). Perhaps concaves provide necessary lift for boards 10'6" plus? Too much board in the water with belly?

Curious, aging minds want to know.

Driftwood and Andrew Johnson like this.
  7. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    I don’t know squat, but it was explained to me that a little concave pocket in the middle generated a sweet spot for trim speed.

JBorbone and Andrew Johnson like this.
  8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    ljob of concave is simply to straighten out water flow

a board with a lot of rocker, deep concave straightens out the water flow along the bottom while maintaining rail rocker for turning.

less rocker, less need for concave

we put gliders from Andreini (my 10'), Skip Frye, and Christenson on stands and dropped a Barry Snyder rocker profile jig on them ...while each had their own personal touch, all 3 featured a low continuous rocker featuring belly entry to flat to a mild slot concave (at the rocker apex) to flat to soft rolled V going flat out the back....

HPLB boards all about lift which free's them up for rail maneuvers...gliders pretty much designed to sit down in the water and...glide

9. poidog

poidog Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Great info, Surfnfish. Thanks man.

10. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    true, but that's also based on a study in mono-directional flow. with bi-directional flow, the lip of a concave pocket can provide "lift" for water passing rail to rail, semi-lateral to the board. thus, creating an area of low pressure on the outer edge, lifting the rail out of the water slightly, creating less wet surface.

Back when I built wings for Ornithopters I did a study in "pockets" at different parts of an airfoil and the directional lift provided can be achieved with the right position and construction of concaves. rail to rail smooth concave (as you mentioned above) has a slightly different function than a narrow channel of concave

flyer17, michael and Surfnfish like this.