fyi - from suftech website

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by gcs, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    pierpont-scott wrote:
    I'd think that's pretty stressful, too though. Say you're a shaper who makes a plug. You do your best, based on 25,000 boards under your belt. But unfortunately, you don't know jack about how a full-PVC shell is going to flex (or not) or how fast it'll rebound, or how your custom rocker will chatter when it loses 8 lbs.

So now a pop-out factory makes 1000 of these things because you have a 'good' name. And they hit the shops. And guys buy them because they know your work is good.

But the boards suck. Can't develop momentum, don't noseride, make noises like being in the cabin of a cheap sailboat.

If you have done a little experimenting, you might have a couple of your shop guys or teamriders saying, "Gee...this thing isn't that great." But no - you went for the brass ring and now you have 1000 people saying your board sucks. Face it - no matter who builds them, the shaper who puts his name on them is going to get the credit or the cirticism.

I don't really blame the shapers. Especially when they see it like Rich does - as an entry-level tool to get people hooked on the brand. But when people start trying to sell the performance or the environmental benefits, I call BS. And when shapers get dollar eyes and jump in without understanding what the tech is going to do to their shapes, they get what they deserve.

2. twizzly

twizzly Member

Dec 22, 2006
    speaking of which, Benny, I believe you had mentioned that some shapes are now 2nd and 3rd generation. In these cases, I believe the boards have been more finely tuned for the ST Tufflite material composition. If this is correct, then hopefully these boards would in fact perform closer to the level of handshaped EPS/PU boards... at least in theory (albeit, they'll always have different flex characteristics, etc).

Would you be able to ID those boards that are 2nd and 3rd generation? Is this information anywhere?

3. Benny

Benny Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    You're right, Twizzly, there has been some evolution in shapes.

The newest & most composite-specific is the Tak In the Pink which I can confidently recommend to anyone under about 165 lbs. Or up to about 180 if you're a very experienced surfer in warm salty water without a wetsuit.

Past that, the Tak SS & Prince Kuhio are newer shapes as well. So is that G&S Noserider. The Munoz plugs for the 11 & 12' have been updated with more vee to let them get rail to rail easier, but the RF plug for the 10 & 10'6 has not - its still corky. The new Rarick 7'6 is a great midsize/travel board, but again only up to around 180 lbs. The older Bear & No Brand & August WNII ( I think all around 9'2 to 9'4) are good performers, also for smaller surfers.

One of the biggest problems I have with Surftech is that its pretty obvious that they think anyone over 180 lb or so is either out of shape or a rank beginner. Pickings are thin for anyone over 200 lb, unless you get into the monsters like the Infinity RN (which floats great but doesn't work at all like the poly version) or the Munoz boards (which surf fine, but don't noseride much at all).

I think one of the Yaters - maybe even its the big one like 10 or 10'1? - has been updated too.

Other than that, the boards don't work much at all like the originals.

4. aslbuck

aslbuck Member

Jan 29, 2005
    if a modern surfboard made from foam and glassed heavy seldom is able to get the feel of a classic 1960s log, fellow classic log riders know what i mean here, there is no way in hell surf tech will ever, heavier glassed or not, be able to feel like a hand shaped modern foam board.

5. B.O.S.S

B.O.S.S Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Texas
    aslbuck wrote:
    amen to that bro. boss

6. Surfertom

Surfertom Active Member

Mantooth wrote:
    Pretty funny MT!

ST

7. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    B.O.S.S wrote:
    I agree they will never feel the same.....but which one will feel better?

If you like the feel of a surftech, does that make you a bad person?

If you don't like the feel of a surftech does that make you a better person?

(The above questions are rhetorical, non-argumentative statements. I like any board as long as it gets me in the water and into a wave. Long, short, light, heavy, single fin, tri-fin)

8. gcs

gcs Member

Mar 7, 2004
    USA
    Wow - I was just wasting time looking around and found that link, surftech always draws a nerve or two. I have never tried one but have no complaints about my BW hansen 50/50, which is not super-light, has glide and is a fun summer and small wave board. My favorite go-to board for all other condistions is a poly custom, now fading, yellowing, and ding-repaired multiple times, some people think that is soulful but I could do without that part. A lot of people seem to like the BW waldens too but I haven't tried one. I understand Walden is going to have the GSI/southpoint people make the next generation of pop-out magics. I also hear of people who are very pleased with the Schaper (?) board with bonga perkins shape that is supposed to be the same tech, one of whom I know is a pretty good surfer who went there from a traditional shaped volan log, anyone had any experience with them?

9. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    GT wrote:
    Thanks for posting GT. A well reasoned explanation from Rich Harbour. Helps explain why he has managed to stay in business as long as he has.

10. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    pierpont-scott wrote:
    It's all relative. The herd(s) you run, whether its the "hulls are where its at" herd, the "all I ride is a plain white surfboard" herd, or the "hand shaped or nuthin" herd in are just smaller in number.

Surfing is about fun to me - sometimes individually, sometimes with a crowd - sometimes on a popout, somtimes on a one-of-a kind hand shaped work of art. Life's too short for me to give a rat's arse what Mr. Jones sitting in the line-up to the left of me and Mr. Schmidlap sitting in the line-up to the right of me is riding.