fyi - from suftech website

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by gcs, Feb 27, 2007.

1. gcs

gcs Member

Mar 7, 2004
    USA
    Classic Glass 2007
    Also for 2007, Surftech is excited about diversifying their range of offerings to the longboard community though new shapers as well as the introduction of Classic Glass. “Certain surfer’s styles and select classic longboards are better suited to a heavier glass job” says Surftech Product Developer, Corey Davis “By sitting lower in the water, the way these boards ride reflects the classic feel that so many surfers seek”. Available in only a small selection of wood veener models from shapers such as August, Yater and Takayama, Classic Glass boards keep alive the legacy of modern surfing’s earlier years.
    Along with Classic Glass, the legendary labels of Becker and Harbour join Surftech in offering models for 2007. The return of Harbour marks an exciting time in Surftech history. One of the most sought-after labels in the longboarding industry, Harbour’s original Tuflites were only available for a short time in the mid 90’s. The return of Harbour represents the ultimate validation of Tuflite technology and exemplifies the success that shapers feel Tuflite-constructed models brings to their labels. Look for the new Harbour and Becker models as well as Classic Glass and additional new models from Surftech to become available at retail in Spring and Summer 2007

2. blackmountain

blackmountain New Member

Sep 29, 2006
    USA New Hampshire
    ouch

that does turn the stomach

3. twizzly

twizzly Member

Dec 22, 2006
    I'm excited to see the Harbour offering. I've been told that Rich has submitted some really cool new color templates, but I've also been told that the plugs they are using are now a few years old and don't reflect some of the more recent tweaks that Harbour has made to their boards...

4. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA
  5. twizzly

twizzly Member

Dec 22, 2006
    not a fan of "stronger lighter"?

6. Drumhead Buddha

Drumhead Buddha New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    Nepal
    gcs wrote:
    hmm al?

al did u sign off on that? i dont think sooooooooooooooooooo

7. Surfertom

Surfertom Active Member

I don;t own any Surftech and aren't interested, but this DOES make me want to do see one in a shop somewhere to feel how much heavier they might be.

8. Miles

Miles Member

Feb 6, 2006
    USA
    I was talking to Wingnut at an annual "Robert August Weekend" event at a surfshop in Houston about 4 or 5 years ago and he told me then that he was trying to get Surftech to make his models heavier.

9. twizzly

twizzly Member

Dec 22, 2006
    At Benny's suggestion, I bought a 10' G&S ST Classic Noserider a month or two ago and I've really been digging it. I hooked it up w/ a TA Heritage fin a nice Patagonia day bag and it's a pretty solid set up. Been out on it at Porto, Manhattan, Hermosa, Malibu, Doheny and San O.

Now... I know it's pretty much sacrilege, but I will say that it's a lot easier to catch waves on that beast than the 10' PU Harbour Banana that my bro lets me borrow. The Banana definitely turns better and moves down the line a lot quicker, but I can't knee paddle on it and it's definitely tougher to paddle. Sort of an interesting trade off. When we're in the water together and swappin' boards, I'm always thinking "oh... I could've caught that on the G&S" or alternatively, "i wonder if i could've zipped through that section or done something a bit more kinky on the banana"

That all being said, I wonder how different the G&S would perform as a Classic Glass. I've read countless arguments reguarding momentum and drive, and I also appreciate that picking up weight would make the board even tougher to turn (most likely... right).

10. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    I think it is great. It makes total sense. It shows yet again how smart the Surftech folks are. They are willing to evolve and adapt to the needs of the customer.