Fowler V8, Andreini McVee, others?

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
I've settled on a 10" Velzy classic 12" off tail.
The Greenough's are go to for sure, however Dale mentioned the Velzy being used works well in his vee bottoms even though it is a stiff fin. I've had guys sing their praises as well.

My general rule is........ the flexier the fin, the bigger you can go, this is because when the fin flexes it is 'spilling off energy, much like my sail would "spill air while twisting off" when windsurfing.

Last edited:

davey

Jun 9, 2007
Australia
The Greenough's are go to for sure, however Dale mentioned the Velzy being used works well in his vee bottoms even though it is a stiff fin. I've had guys sing their praises as well.

My general rule is........ the flexure the fin, the bigger you can go, this is because when the fin flexes it is 'spilling off energy, much like my sail would "spill air while twisting off" when windsurfing.
Cue Miscreant..

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
This isn't a V8 however the BF New Machines are more like if a V Machine & V8 had a baby. This is Gearnut's new 10'0"×24"×3-1/2" @ 95 Liters. Final Foil shots manana.
She will have the full glide of 10 ft. but can easily turn shorter when put over on rail.
20191204_150243.jpg
20191204_154602.jpg

Last edited:

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Looks good Bruce. I like that red foam inserted between the stringers. My personal choice would be to you do off the nose or do a blunt nose. For shipping proposes 9’8” Now I just need to get my body healed. Old age isn’t for sissies.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
BOTTOM VIEW.jpg
This isn't a V8 however the BF New Machines are more like if a V Machine & V8 had a baby. This is Gearnut's new 10'0"×24"×3-1/2" @ 95 Liters. Final Foil shots manana.
She will have the full glide of 10 ft. but can easily turn shorter when put over on rail. View attachment 15744 View attachment 15745
Thanks.
I've got another 10'0" ordered (single 3/8" dyed basswood) from a guy in Ventura and 2 8'6"s (one Dansan's that's almost done, & an all yellow one for Basenji703).
Then a group of some saucy stockers with different stringer & colored foam motifs in 9'0", 9'2", 9'4", 9'6", 9'8" & 10'0". As you can see, the board's maintain the 'relaxed rocker' that the design calls for. The deeper Panel Vee in the tail section provides good release and loosens the board for turning while still producing insane straight line trim speed.

Here's a few more pix of Gearnut's before I drop into glassing this morning. He sent us a cool fabric inlay for the deck. Board will be glassed with S Glass, 4+1 boxes, Glossed & Polished.
10 FT NEW MACHINE GEARNUT #3.jpg
GEARNUT ANGLE SHOT.jpg
NEW MACHINE PROFILE CHRIS 2019 10 FT..jpg

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
Chris 10 Ft. New Machine angle shot.jpg
Looks good Bruce. I like that red foam inserted between the stringers. My personal choice would be to you do off the nose or do a blunt nose. For shipping proposes 9’8” Now I just need to get my body healed. Old age isn’t for sissies.
9'8" is a gr8 choice as I could safely pack the board & send on Amtrak, which has a 120" total length allowed To the East the cost is $105 & I get 5mm 10 ft board bags wholesale @ $55 which I carry thru to my customers. There's an additional ten bucks for the full bubble wrapping I do b4 slipping into the bag. If I'm sending 2 boards, I just shipped Gearnut's 10'0" with Hank's (Basenji) 8'6" to Virginia for $150. They went out yesterday & should arrive 12/26. At least we hope so as the company made a mistake on the quote destination for Chesapeake then someone sent a BOL (Bill of Lading) with a different destination hours away from their pick up station that Hank is close to. It will get sorted out. I've shipped a lot of boards this year with them and they've been top shelf. Hey, it's Xmas and stuff like this happens. In the meantime here's another pic of Gearnut's. Update: They charged me an additional $50 which I told Gear & Base I'd pick the xtra $ on my dime. I might be able to get my account rep to get them to drop that. TBD.

Last edited: