Fowler V8, Andreini McVee, others?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by OneLove, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    So Cal
    Anyone have a McVee they want to sell?

2. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    I love the size of that teal one bruce

3. bfat

bfat Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Brooklyn/Maine
    Would love to hear more about everyone's adventures in fin placement and foot placement ...

Also, that teal is a honey. What length is it, 6'8?

4. mitch44

mitch44 Active Member

Sep 3, 2018
    California
    Surprised I’m the first person to jump in on this and say my pick is the HOT GEN. That being said I’m biased as I’ve only ridden the hot gen and have just felt up V8’s and Mcvees :)

I find it extremely versatile, amazing trim and able to whip thru cutbacks like no other board I own. In smaller mixed up waves the wide point back allows for less dynamic snappy/pivot-y turns but when ridden in over waist high surf the full rail top of the wave cutdown to deep bottom turn combo (think hot gen Honolua bay of course) is out of this world.

I find myself liking the more foiled rail that Brian does compared to the fuller of the other 2 shapers as I primarily ride liddles when my local waves accommodate. That’s my 2 cents!

OneLove, ekim and DanSan like this.
  5. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Try the others if you get a chance...

mitch44 likes this.
  6. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    I would try all If I could. Liked my V8 so much I pondered doing the Mike Black thing with V-bottoms instead of pigs. IG: sell all my boards and buy a bunch of vee bottoms. bought mine on a whim used from Mollusc years ago. I remember taking it out the first time and thinking ,damn this thing is so stable and paddles so fast. First wave took off ,hit the bottom turned and fell flat on my face. You really have to turn them from the center/narrow stance. Came with a 9" 4A. This worked well but tried a 10" Velzy classic about 12" off the tail. Velzy works great as there's not a lot flex so you don't get bucked off. I prefer it in waves with some power. Small week waves would need something else in my quiver. Sometimes when the waves are really on ,the turns I get off this board really blow me away.

Walnuts likes this.
  7. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Ekim..spot on..

My 8.2 V8 i got custom october 2018...rode the bejeezus outta it,..still do..
    It handles most anything..however, if small..well..then i pull out the glider..
    Because it so much fun..so it is the case with any board..
    The right equipment for the day...
    Whether it be hulls..mini sims..etc..
    I do echo ekim.... you need to turn from the middle...
    But if you ride liddles..you are already hardwired to that
    And on a good day..
    Man the V8 goes mental..
    I use a True Ames 4A 9.75" ...up
    From the tail 14"...i played around ...
    With placement like i did on my liddles..
    Hope all this info we all are giving helps...

OneLove likes this.
  8. waveslider619

waveslider619 Active Member

Sep 8, 2017
    SD
    Bummer Dude likes this.
  9. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Ride report soon. Good score!