Fowler V8, Andreini McVee, others?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by OneLove, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    I’ve had a Fowler V8 and liked it, but can’t wait to try an Andreini.

2. OneLove

OneLove Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks all, love hearing all the feedback!

@McQuad - As for where I’m coming from… 47, fit, decent surfer, just shy of 200 lbs. surfing Southeast NC in our usually crappy but sometimes brilliant surf. Quiver ranges from 6-2 to 10-6, but usually on 6-4 Eavey mini-simm, 7-0 Fowler NVM (as of late), or 9-6 self-shaped single fin.

@Bruce - got your description via email this Spring and it’s been rattling around my head since. Leaning towards the V8 since I’m loving the new machine you shaped me this Spring. Thoughts on sizing?

@Mizrachi - Marc’s description of the McVee is what originally put me in the headspace I’m in and the ride I’m looking for.

@ekim & @DanSan– thanks, good feedback… based on your boards, what are your thoughts on sizing at my weight?

Keep any more thoughts coming.

3. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California

Hmm..well im 61...220-225lbs...12-15% BF
    Norcal surf breaks..usually good..but can get drippy...
    I would say a 8.0 x 23 x 3...4+1 fin set up...
    Just off my head..
    I have an 8.2..but there are times..i think/wish it was 7.6..or 8.6..ha
    So perhaps..im just right

OneLove likes this.
  4. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    Here’s my .02 after having surfed both the V-8 and McVee. The McVee has considerable range, the rails/rocker are magic and has absolute buttery trim. Marc’s rails trim like no other, period! You do not need a huge fin to make it hold, hence giving more speed. Middle board trim, sure, lean or step back to turn, absolutely, and cheater five in right place right time, all day long. That and the long vaquero are easily one board quivers for 90% of what you surf. I went through the “vee” bottom phase several years ago and enjoyed it, but my eyes were opened with Marc’s shapes. Did I mention nothing trims like an andreini?!?!?!

I’d go 8’2-8’6”, or better yet, ask Marc.

Chilly Willy, sightpoint, jbb and 4 others like this.
  5. bfat

bfat Member

Dec 20, 2018
    Brooklyn/Maine
    I've got a 7'6 chocolate fish billy. Not sure about standard McVee and V8, but the billy has spiral v and a hard rail in the bottom third-ish. 7'6 have been great at picking up small, short period swell. Board came with a big ol' fin, 10'. Zany off the bottom turn, but holds a line well, stable enough for a cheater 5. Still figuring it out. Would definitely be interested in comparing to a longer McVee or V8.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    OneLove likes this.
  6. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    I'm 50 185 ILB. 24" x 3 1/4" is standard for Bruce's 8'6" V8's. Feels perfect for me. Kirk putnam said while developing the Hot Generations with Brian that this size was just right for Vee bottoms.

OneLove likes this.
  7. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    Probably because you can use a 93Y and get a good rocker and have tail thickness to shape in vee??

ekim likes this.
  8. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Day off today
    .in fact 4 day weekend..

1st hr..foggy sewers..
    fowler.8.2V8 ..single 9.75" 4A fin
    high tide dropping..
    Just styling..long rides

2nd hr..sunny..windy..lowish tide..
    Rockview..on fowler 8.0 NVM.
    With rfcs speed dialers..size picking up..
    Fast zippers thru the kelp

With 2 youngster seals...mischief makers
    Yeeew.

im freezing now..
    So its swedish meatballs and
    Egg noodles..gravy with my family..
    Double yeeeew

OneLove likes this.
  9. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Love everyone's feedback on the different rides.

Quick footnote:
    I designed mine as an update homage off of Midget's early 1st sled. Kept the design capable of intentionally power sliding & even spinning out if you are brave enuff to play with that feature. It all comes down to foot positioning and fin placement aka wheelbase on any particular day, wave, surf spot, or attitude toward how you're gonna ride that day. IMG_3707.jpg

Marc advanced his vee and flattened the tail so his squirt out of turns with speed. A super neat feature that I practice regularly on other designs I make, but not my V8.

It's cool to see what's out there, ride em, like em, love em loathe em............. keep playing in liquid space fellow aquanauts!
    ;-) ............. feel the stoke, share the stoke!

10. sightpoint

sightpoint Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore

Really interesting to see shapers' takes on other shapers' boards. This might be worthy of its own thread. I love my McVee. It's fast and loose and stable, if that makes sense. V8s look awesome and I'd love to try one to compare.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    OneLove, DJR and ekim like this.