For you Subaru fans..

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Subaru has made it‘s Rep on all wheel drive one of the best on the market today. The all wheel drive can and will do a better job then 4 wheel drive is about 80% of all the driving conditions that you will encounter. I had a 4x4 Toyota pick up. We would take down to Baja. It was good solid off road truck. Had it on some roads that turned into goat trails. Fording a couple of streams and more. We came around a corner there was this old Chevy station wagon top cut off to make into a make shift pick up. It was loaded up with crests of fish heading to market. We pulled over to let them pass. That told me that it is nice to have 4x4. But it was doable in an old beat to shit Chevy with bald tires

There are videos up on Edmend‘s that have a Forester compairing to the new Ford bronco. The forester pretty much matched the Bronco a car that is marketed for the adventurous driver.

ekim

Oct 14, 2015
Big fan of the Ford Escape. Quarter of a million miles on original Engine and transmission. Still going!

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
Subaru has made it‘s Rep on all wheel drive one of the best on the market today.
Subaru AWD with 25% of power sent equally to each tire is the best road traction you can get...I've owned a bunch of 4x4's (still do), none handle heavy snow and ice storm highway conditions like the sube.
Thar AWD system is the primary reason why Toyota has been in a partnership with them for years, bringing out vehicles like the BRZ...their new joint venture uses Sub' AWD with Toyotas EV technology..

1617474066194.png

Last edited:

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Subaru AWD with 25% of power sent equally to each tire is the best road traction you can get...I've owned a bunch of 4x4's (still do), none handle heavy snow and ice storm highway conditions like the sube.
There AWD system is the primary reason why Toyota has been in a partnership with them for years, bringing out vehicles like the BRZ...their new joint venture uses Subary AWD with Toyotas EV technology..

View attachment 29247
However with in 1 10th of a second power can shift to the wheel or wheels that are slipping. Demoed a Jeep Wragler in the snow worse car for patchy ice and snow. The wheel base is too short making for a very buncy ride can’t use 4x4 on dry roads but when you hit snow you have to slow down to under 35 MPH to shift into 4 wheel drive by that time you could be once again on dry road then hit black ice. In the inner mountain west you see big 4x4 pickup trucks and tons of Subarus. A friend had a late 1990s Legacy wagon 350,000 miles and still going strong. Yes I like my car a lot.

strez

Mar 23, 2012
Hamilton, Massachusetts
I once went on a trip to Guatemala and we went up into the jungle. We had locals take us to where the dirt roads ended where we could walk in from that point. Their trucks were all Toyota 4x4 with bald tires. The had no trouble at all. I couldn't believe how they were able to get up the craziest mud trails without tread. Serious skill there.

JustKan

Jun 23, 2020
I have a love hate relationship with my 2014 forester... bought it new when I first moved to California and before I started surfing. Little did I know unless one bought the luxury touring model the seats wouldn’t go completely flat. This all became bad news to someone who started having a purpose to sleep in their car on trips in the PNW. The car handles does handle pretty incredibly on snow, ice, and moderate off road conditions.

After years of the car asking for slightly more oil than seemed normal and most mechanics brushing me off I found out there was a recall for engine oil consumption.... I was 10,000 miles past the extended warranty they added to fix this, Subaru was really quiet about it.

I’d avoid buying a preowned 2014 unless the engine has been replaced.

I do hear great things about the newer ones though....

JTS

Mar 24, 2005
Always heard good reviews on Subaru
Does anyone have experience driving their AWS on deep sand beaches?
Thinking stuff like Outer Banks of North Carolina (Salvo, Buxton etc)
Thanks
Jim

Members online