For you Subaru fans..

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
Hmm there might be a low mileage 2018 touring 3.6R hitting the market. We will need to see what the color offerings are. :cool: View attachment 29110
keep it..the 3.6 is a great engine, and that model has plenty of clearence for everything but offroad gnarl...we had one during prime snowboard years, flogged it mercilessly in the high country during storms, never a whimper...

Surfertom

Mar 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, California
With the seats down and without a board bag, I can get my 10'6 in my outback easily.
Good info to have, thanks NCJ. I am currently thinking about getting an Outback or Forester. Sold my vanagon a while back and just been lurking on what to buy.

Wondering if the built in racks allow you to still put on a Thule setup crossbar? I'd like the width of the racks increased to hold two longboards side-by-side, rather than stacked, which would need about 4-6 inches more width in the cross bars (I think). The Forester side bars will allow me to put crossbars at any position, where the Outback has some sections that I think would hamper that.

But, the Outback's ability to hold longer boards inside is attractive.

ST

Surfnfish

Feb 6, 2015
PNW between here and there
Good info to have, thanks NCJ. I am currently thinking about getting an Outback or Forester. Sold my vanagon a while back and just been lurking on what to buy.

Wondering if the built in racks allow you to still put on a Thule setup crossbar? I'd like the width of the racks increased to hold two longboards side-by-side, rather than stacked, which would need about 4-6 inches more width in the cross bars (I think). The Forester side bars will allow me to put crossbars at any position, where the Outback has some sections that I think would hamper that.

But, the Outback's ability to hold longer boards inside is attractive.

ST
wife has a 2021 Foresterr...different beast than the previous model...upgraded platform, handles great, roomier inside, plenty of power, comfortable...

Nubancho

Nov 16, 2016
Orange County
It'd be funny/great if a Jammer won this...

Good luck!

Last edited:

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
With the seats down and without a board bag, I can get my 10'6 in my outback easily.
Had my 2010 Forester in the shop. Needed a part that had to be shipped Got a loaner from the dealer 2021 Outback. Wow what a sweet ride. Loved the back up camera lane assist and blind spot Warning. Better mileage then my 2010. I was wondering if I could get my 9’8” in that Outback.
my Forester still doing us right. No plans on getting a new one anytime Soon.
I understand that there are plans to do a wilderness Forester. for a mid year release.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
wife has a 2021 Foresterr...different beast than the previous model...upgraded platform, handles great, roomier inside, plenty of power, comfortable...
I have a tule rack on my forester been on it since I bought the car new. Had Kayaks, Paddleboards, longboards on it no problems. Racks are getting kind of funky the coating is pealing off the plastic is fading.

Surfertom

Mar 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, California
It'd be funny/great if a Jammer won this...

Good luck!

I'm in. $10, 100 entries. Cowabunga.

ST

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
Thought this is interesting. Got this from another Subaru promo. feed back on the Outback has been that it needs more HP under the hood. A fair assent. The H6 has more HP but you do not get the best gas mileage. Subaru is putting in their turbo charged engine in the 2022 Outback Wilderness. Good fuel economy and more ponies under the hood.