Flowmaster question and Long Haley Pin discussion.

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
So I rode my 10’-2” flowmaster for the first time yesterday in lined up waist high waves with strong offshore winds. I did not get that WOW feeling and think my Pathfinder and the mid 9’ Haley pins I have ridden felt better. I look at the flow master and feel like it will really turn on in bigger surf. So my question for past/present owners when do you like to ride them?

Chap75

Feb 3, 2019
Cambria
So I rode my 10’-2” flowmaster for the first time yesterday in lined up waist high waves with strong offshore winds. I did not get that WOW feeling and think my Pathfinder and the mid 9’ Haley pins I have ridden felt better. I look at the flow master and feel like it will really turn on in bigger surf. So my question for past/present owners when do you like to ride them?
Totally get what you are saying Dave. The newer flowmaster which I have now is not like my old Scott shaped one. The older ones have that gun glider outline. I can ride the new one in any conditions & be stoked. Not a Scott shape. A ton more thickness & width. I believe you have one of the Scott shapes if I remember right. My wow moments on the 10’2 Scott shape were during hurricane swells on long lined up chest days. Give her another shot in a hair bigger surf.

Last edited:

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
Yes Scott shaped 23.5” x 3.25”. Thank you for the reply as that makes perfect sense
B52083F7-4ED6-4D1B-A167-27C7385B1FAC.jpeg
637C3341-2628-4685-AC40-2325FB9CB150.jpeg

Last edited:

heavymetalshop

Nov 29, 2020
405/101/10
Hey Dave,

Tell us more about those longer Haley pins you had. Size? What did you think? Love my 7’7 and I’ve been thinking about a longer one as a small to mid wave LB alternative.

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
Ok the first one I rode was 9’-6” and belongs to @j_laucks and was the same board that @Hodaddy81 reviewed. After riding it I felt Dave’s review was spot on (great trimmer not so good turner). I rode it with a 8.5” Lovelace fin center of the box. The second one I rode was a 9’-8” that belongs to another friend this time the 8.5” Lovelace was pushed all the way forward. That’s maybe 1” or 1.5” difference from the center of the box. It was a completely different board and turned with ease. Same shaper on both boards I’m thinking what the heck. j_laucks has since moved the fin forward and had the same results. Great trimmer,turner and paddler. At 9’-6” it could almost be a 1 board quiver. Knee to OH, j_laucks has a 7’-10” as well so he can add some insight. He also surfs shorter boards where I primarily surf longboards.

Last edited:

j_laucks

Oct 1, 2019
New England Aquarium
@shadydave is spot on above-

Both Haley's were shaped by John Simon at Glide in NJ. The board has gotten me through the small summer knee high days here on the east coast as a longboard alternative. I also had it out in bigger swell recently, while a different experience it seemed more than capable. If you were a minimalist average surfer a mid 7's & 9'+ Haley would cover most conditions you might encounter.

Now back to the Flowmaster feedback-

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
@shadydave is spot on above-

Both Haley's were shaped by John Simon at Glide in NJ. The board has gotten me through the small summer knee high days here on the east coast as a longboard alternative. I also had it out in bigger swell recently, while a different experience it seemed more than capable. If you were a minimalist average surfer a mid 7's & 9'+ Haley would cover most conditions you might encounter.

Now back to the Flowmaster feedback-
Thanks Jared, I believe Chap confirmed my belief.

ks77

Jan 16, 2007
LA, CA
I too had a 9'6" Thick Lizzy (sold to @fishyfishy). I loved the board, especially how fast it'd go in trim. It was a board that I would have fun with on a knee high day or a bigger day. I wish that I'd tried to move the fin up toward the front of the box because I too found that it would turn, but couldn't really do any true cut back, more just a slight redirection to get back closer to the pocket. Sounds like I missed a potential way to make the board even better.