Fish Question (bottom contours)

surflax

Mar 11, 2007
USA Pennsylvania
The Brom fish I've had all have fairly significant V thru the fins and Hard edge along the rails from the fins to the points. probably a little narrower than the 12" SD Fish...

ks77

Jan 16, 2007
LA, CA
There are so many different opinions out there on concaves and all the other bottom contours. Hopefully some of the shapers here will respond. I wonder, because I know nothing about kneeboarding and the designs of those boards, if the deep single that seems to be the norm with the Skip and lis inspired shapers stems from the kneeboards that they evolved from.

In my experience, no matter the bottom type (and the rails and other design factors impact this too) subtle is better no matter what you go with. I have a few Fish from the San diego school and they work well with a deep single concave in those clean, walled up California reef breaks where they originated. I don't find them a lot faster or slower than my mabile which is slightly rolled to edit: spiral vee all the way out the back but they do encourage long smooth drawn out turns which I really like. The mabile can do that too but with the vee in the back of the board tighter turns are also possible and I surf it a lot more in the beach breaks here in southeastern nc which tend to section a lot more and not be as clean.

The only real issue I've had with deep single concaves is going too long and then they get sort of tracky but this again is my experience and any number of other factors could have contributed to this feeling.
Thanks @NCJohn This is helpful

Yosh

Jan 31, 2019
El Segundo
From experience, single concave favors clean surface / lined up surf, goes stupid fast but no flavor in bump chop days which is typical at my local beach break. My 5'8" Arenal fish is subtle roll entry (with a hint of vee? not sure it's trippy) and spiral vee out -> super versatile. So.. I think where and how you want to ride your future fish can be your source of decision? If all you go is first point/panga -> singleConcave ok, but if not, no need for a traditional SD fish imo.

applebutter

Aug 23, 2008
How does a Brom feel different than a traditional SD fish? It certainly looks different.
They’re not alike at all, at least with my
Brom. The rails are not sharp, there is nothing aggressive about the bottom contours, and it is glassed super heavy. I think it may weigh as much as a 9’0 longboard. Makes paddling a little harder but once you’re in the wave the natural glide is glorious.

Based on others’ comments it’s clear he makes his fish different depending on the customer. I’ve had two fish from Steve and they were pretty different.

I love surfing mine even though it’s definitely too much foam for me. Truly feels like I’m on a cloud even when there is some wind in it. Turns feel like you’re in deep powder.

Dims on mine are about 5’6 x 22 x 3. Unfortunately I’m 175lbs but if I was a bigger guy it would be perfect

ks77

Jan 16, 2007
LA, CA
From experience, single concave favors clean surface / lined up surf, goes stupid fast but no flavor in bump chop days which is typical at my local beach break. My 5'8" Arenal fish is subtle roll entry (with a hint of vee? not sure it's trippy) and spiral vee out -> super versatile. So.. I think where and how you want to ride your future fish can be your source of decision? If all you go is first point/panga -> singleConcave ok, but if not, no need for a traditional SD fish imo.
Thanks, @Yosh I'd hope to ride this both at spots like Topanga but also where I think you tend to surf.

ks77

Jan 16, 2007
LA, CA
@shredsickgnar I'm curious how this lines up with your experience in your MM fish? If I got a SD style, it'd be from him most likely.

shredsickgnar

Aug 7, 2021
Canada
@shredsickgnar I'm curious how this lines up with your experience in your MM fish? If I got a SD style, it'd be from him most likely.
I felt my MM with the deep single sits in the water a little more when surfing. It also has more weight to it, compared to other fishes I’ve surfed. Those two things together, I feel like the MM surfed better in chopping conditions that other fishes that have flatter concaves. I felt like fishes with flat to v, or mellower concaves tend to sit on top of the water more and skip across any chip that is present. I feel anytime I lose contact with the wave I lose control.

The fishes that I’ve surfed with flatter concaves, do plane slightly faster when you first catch a wave, but they reach some kind of speed limit where they are hard to control and put on edge. I’ve yet to lose control from speed or chop on my MM fish, only from lack of skill.

I can confirm it doesn’t surf great in tight fast beach break. I’ve surfed it in tight waves, it’s not as reactive as a short board obviously(or a quad fish), but I’d rather surf my 5’10” MM fish in those conditions vs my 6’2” Hanel twin I used to have. So sizing, weight, and fins setup matters. Mine has glass on solid keels so it probably would groove a little more in tight waves with some sleek fibreglass keels.