First ding repair?

Curlz

Jun 26, 2020
VA, USA
It finally happened. Leaned it up like a bonehead to spray it off and it fell.

So I've watched a lot of YouTube and wanted to run it by the pros.

For this one do I need to remove the glass around the punctured stuff or simply overfill?

Instead of doing the entire cloth overlay (since on a rail) could I simply fill with lots of cloth chopped up into the resin? Slightly overfill and sand flush to call it good?

Thanks for any and all help. Trying to fix it correctly - no shortcuts, but don't want to overdo it as well and mess up more around it.

Posted to sway locks as well

Attachments

• 2BB3C032-6F5F-4F5D-A8FB-2C52B0F6158A.jpeg
    2BB3C032-6F5F-4F5D-A8FB-2C52B0F6158A.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 74249308-6B56-4536-ACC3-F3FAA672B6DA.jpeg
    74249308-6B56-4536-ACC3-F3FAA672B6DA.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 95

Skegg

Oct 7, 2021
Maine
Agree with SeniorGrom. Not worth the extra work and damage potential to not do it right. Cloth patch is essential for strength. The Fiberglass Hawaii videos are solid, so seems like you're on the right path.

Reactions: DJR

Outside

Dec 12, 2021
Garden City, NY
You've received two recommendations from experienced people here. Dont ruin your board with a quickie repair now and a bigger problem further down the road. Would be like putting a plug in the tire of your Corvette. You just know it's going to fail when you're depending on it not to.

Curlz

Jun 26, 2020
VA, USA
Yup right on. Thanks guys. Following fiberglass Hawaii and they’re doing the cloth wrap etc… so it all matches up.

Definitely didn’t want to do a poor patch as I love this board

Thanks.

Skegg

Oct 7, 2021
Maine
Yup right on. Thanks guys. Following fiberglass Hawaii and they’re doing the cloth wrap etc… so it all matches up.

Definitely didn’t want to do a poor patch as I love this board

Thanks.
Good luck! Follow up if you need to do any trouble shooting! Those guys make it look way too easy to do a good job.

Outside

Dec 12, 2021
Garden City, NY
It finally happened. Leaned it up like a bonehead to spray it off and it fell.

So I've watched a lot of YouTube and wanted to run it by the pros.

For this one do I need to remove the glass around the punctured stuff or simply overfill?

Instead of doing the entire cloth overlay (since on a rail) could I simply fill with lots of cloth chopped up into the resin? Slightly overfill and sand flush to call it good?

Thanks for any and all help. Trying to fix it correctly - no shortcuts, but don't want to overdo it as well and mess up more around it.

Posted to sway locks as well
And likely everyone here has had this disheartening experience or a variation thereof. Edit- Or will.

Makawaosurfer93

Feb 15, 2007
USA New Jersey
njrider has done repairs like this on a couple of my boards. he was able to fill in under the broken glass and then wrap cloth and resin onto the rail. Wasn't even worried about color match and just left the white of the original fracture. Aesthetically as good/bad as trying to color match and not being able to.
Good on you for even attempting this on your first repair. I stay with the smaller easy stuff myself.

Members online