Fins for classic LBs

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by JTS, May 10, 2019.

1. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    i found a great looking used longboard at a shop yesterday, didn’t really need another board but too good a deal to pass upand board looks like it was ridden twice
    I have question about fins

I have always shied away from a pivot type fin, probably as much on looks as anything
    I’m trying to decide between 2 fins the Fins Unlimited pivot that came with the board or the Tyler Warren pivot fin I already had Both fins are 9.75. The board is a 9’1”. 23 wide and 3 and a bit thick. Soft rails , even in the tail , slight rolled vee out the back, definitely more of a cruiser or classic style LB. I’ll be surfing it in the usual east coast beach break.

Has anyone have experience in either of these fins in these type of boards, or comments in general? I’ll probably start with the Tyler Warren fin because I prefer how it looks
    Thanks for any help , I’ll load some pictures to help
    Jim

Attached Files:

2. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Yes both..
    Definitely the tyler for beach break..
    Or a greeno 4A

JTS likes this.
  3. Mbaltazar

Mbaltazar New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Portugal
    Hi @JTS,

it's all a matter or preference, not on aesthetics but on functionality.
    Both are pivot fins, the Tyler Warren more raked, less tip area allowing to turn "faster" without having to step hard on the tail, which you will have to do with the "other pivot". 9.75" is ok, but once again it's a question of preference. I prefer bigger fins, my Heritage is 10", my smaller GreenO is 9.75" my biggest fin is a TSM Beau Young 10.75"...

It also depends on where you're surfing, beach breaks and fast waves ditch the "other pivot" go with the TW, point breaks you can do the opposite...

Just go out and surf

JTS likes this.
  4. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Thanks Dan and Mbaltazar for your input, I’m gonna start with the TW, already put it in the board. I also some smalller (9”) fins a Greenough 4A and a Paul Gross fin that is similar to a 4c I will also try

I know fins are personal preferences but curious why you prefer bigger fins Mbaltazar? More drive, better control on the nose ?

Mbaltazar likes this.
  5. slideright

slideright Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I have the tyler warren pivot fin and have ridden it for over three years. The best way to describe it; fat greenough fin.
    You can carve much more than a normal pivot fin but it still noserides and pivots in the small stuff. If you are surfing beach break I would recommend it, although NOTHING beats a Greenough 4A.

JTS likes this.
  6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I used something similar to that big FU pivot fin for years. I think my thought at the time was that it would be helpful for improving my noseriding, which was a goal of mine at the time. I never changed it out because I was more into just surfing than tweaking fins. I don’t remember too many specific properties about it except that the turns were more lazy susan pivots. And I did learn to noseride, though not sure whether it was due to the fin or just my improving technique.

I eventually tried a 4a in another board, which was an eye opener. Nice springy drive. And for the first time, I started paying more attention to the subtle differences in fin placement vs feel. Since I got the 4a years ago, the pivot has collected dust.

JTS likes this.
  7. Mbaltazar

Mbaltazar New Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Portugal
    @JTS my benchmark for fins is 10”. I usually step hard on the tail and, honestly, don’t feel much difference between a 9 or a 9.5 fin, but between a 9 and a 10 fin, oh yeah... it’s different. If you don’t totally fail matching a board to a fin, a bigger fin will reward better. Easier control, more drive, better stability, longer rides... besides, my shapers always told me fins should be slightly bigger than the “1foot of board for each inch of fin”. For me it’s been working.

JTS likes this.
  8. JTS

JTS Member

Mar 24, 2005
    Thanks that’s good info, may get a hold of a 10 inch to try

I’ll get a chance to try out that board tomorrow and let y’all know how it goes
    Jim