Fin for a glider(ish) board

xaaronx

Jun 12, 2021
Wilmington, NC
So I got a 10'6" Roy Sanchez glider this summer. A custom for the guy I bought it from that's a tad thicker and wider than a classic San Diego glider, at least going by the dimensions I see listed online, with a bit more nose rocker. Which is fine for East Coast beachbreaks.

It feels a little slow to me down the line. I'm pretty heavy right now (not weighing myself until I lose weight but when a guy that's skinny at 205 is fat, he weighs a lot) so a good deal of that is going to be down to me slowing the board down.

I'm slowly losing weight again, but I'm also thinking a fin change might help. I was running the 9.5" 4A the board came with, but considering trying a Skip Frye fin.

Any other low drag options I should look into? And what size? Reading on the board here, it seems like gliders do well with somewhat smaller fins so I'm thinking probably the 8.5", but would 7.5" be going too far? Fins are too expensive these days for me to buy one of both.

Thanks for any advice.

Proper_Mode

Jan 8, 2016
USA California
Have you tried moving yourself up the board towards the nose? maybe standing somewhere mid-board whilst trimming out??

I am a bit larger and use a 10.5” toothpick style fin. Smaller fins may offer nimbleness off the tail but you have less to push off of and drive that bus. Using the rail and a stiff fin can allow you to accelerate when it’s not enough to simply harness the wave.

Last edited:

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
So I got a 10'6" Roy Sanchez glider this summer. A custom for the guy I bought it from that's a tad thicker and wider than a classic San Diego glider, at least going by the dimensions I see listed online, with a bit more nose rocker. Which is fine for East Coast beachbreaks.

It feels a little slow to me down the line. I'm pretty heavy right now (not weighing myself until I lose weight but when a guy that's skinny at 205 is fat, he weighs a lot) so a good deal of that is going to be down to me slowing the board down.

I'm slowly losing weight again, but I'm also thinking a fin change might help. I was running the 9.5" 4A the board came with, but considering trying a Skip Frye fin.

Any other low drag options I should look into? And what size? Reading on the board here, it seems like gliders do well with somewhat smaller fins so I'm thinking probably the 8.5", but would 7.5" be going too far? Fins are too expensive these days for me to buy one of both.

Thanks for any advice.
Small Frye fin 8“. Greenough too much in our waves. Will make sluggish at times and much les nimble