Fin design '66-'68 Aussie vs. US

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Roach, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Roach

Roach Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Carlsbad California
    Question to the guys on the forum who were in the business back then:

Based on the fins i've seen in Aussie surf flics (Hot Generation and Fantastic Plastic machine, it looked to me like they had the Greenough style high aspect ratio flexy fins on their boards in '66 (ie Nat's sam board). When did they start appearing on boards made here? Also, were the Aussies more advanced simply because Greenough was there at this time and involved with McTavish, Nat, Gordon Woods and Keyo?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I really want to weigh in on this.
    But on the other hand, why throw the red meat to my army of detractors here?

3. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I'm interested to hear Vet. Isn't that the point of this forum? I enjoy learning about the history of surfing.

4. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    OG,

Roach posted this question for the purpose of having a real discussion regarding board (and in this case, fin) design. Like many of us, he's sick of the daily BS that turns up on this forum.

Both he and I are really interested in this era and origin of board design. Let if fly, brother - let the haters hate!!

5. tentoesed

tentoesed New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    jeanblacknblue wrote:
    I'm in agreement here. Anything that can add to enlighten this forum with credible information is a real needed value, or even something that is "just your opinion" derived from any real experience, even if "my opinion" may not necessarily agree.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Post it already. Geez.

7. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    XStepper wrote:
    On cue: here comes the hate. And then you wonder why people give you crap. Whatsamatter X? Don't have a legitimate comment to add to this effort to have a design related conversation? Isn't time for you to go for a surf. Your shtick is getting old....

8. Guest

Guest Guest

:) old you say? Hmmm

9. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    This time period is very interesting. I was reading Bings book and the story of how David rode the pipeliner, broke it then had it reshaped is pretty amazing. Its cool to see how boards really started to advance during this period. Good topic and hope to hear more insight on it!

10. Roach

Roach Active Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Carlsbad California
    Ok then, we'll open it up to the masses as well as the sages i was hoping to tap into.

Question to the forum:

Based on the fins i've seen in Aussie surf flics (Hot Generation and Fantastic Plastic machine, it looked to me like they had the Greenough style high aspect ratio flexy fins on their boards in '66 (ie Nat's sam board). When did they start appearing on boards made here? Also, were the Aussies more advanced simply because Greenough was there at this time being involved with McTavish, Nat, Gordon Woods and Keyo?