Fin advice 7' Fowler V8

Dec 18, 2020
North California
Never rode the Fowler vbottom, but I used to ride an old Danny tarampi v bottom. Rather than a fin suggestion, I have a technique suggestion. Who knows, maybe you already do it? What helped me immensely with bottom turns on more powerful waves is grabbing rail on the “swoop”. It allowed to sink a lot more of the rail in with more control than a regular bottom turn.

jtsfla

Feb 6, 2015
7'9 V8 I use the 8.5" 4A all the way up in the box. Which is 13-15/16". For me its the
perfect blend of loose rail to rail and still has great hold and drive.

Stan Vinokur

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Yeah that makes sense. My popup could use some work stay low and hang on to the rail. Yeah these boards dont inherently set/hold rail, which i guess why they are so loose too.

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
Yeah that makes sense. My popup could use some work stay low and hang on to the rail. Yeah these boards dont inherently set/hold rail, which i guess why they are so loose too.
Depends..
Where you are...your feet..weight...balance on it..
Reference
..fyi....fall 2019...oct./ nov...remember ..some fires...smoke..air quality off?
I got some nice smallish stuff.. mid tide..close to shore...northern part of
Linda Mar....before tide shut it down..
One of those sessions you dont forget.
More because it was unexpected..that size...but it was clean.with just enough ooomph..to get up ...quick turn it(left or right)....rollercoaster to the sand...
*most of the time i was popping up on the front 1/3 off the board..and staying there..

Stan Vinokur

Oct 15, 2020
San Francisco
Depends..
Where you are...your feet..weight...balance on it..
Reference
..fyi....fall 2019...oct./ nov...remember ..some fires...smoke..air quality off?
I got some nice smallish stuff.. mid tide..close to shore...northern part of
Linda Mar....before tide shut it down..
One of those sessions you dont forget.
More because it was unexpected..that size...but it was clean.with just enough ooomph..to get up ...quick turn it(left or right)....rollercoaster to the sand...
*most of the time i was popping up on the front 1/3 off the board..and staying there..
You touch on good point. The board has more control further up. I feel like that's a bit easier to do on the 8'2. On the 7'0 if you are too forward on the paddle you don't catch the wave or nose dive. But yea I need to find a sweet spot where I pop up further on that board and then it may solve my problem.

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA
You touch on good point. The board has more control further up. I feel like that's a bit easier to do on the 8'2. On the 7'0 if you are too forward on the paddle you don't catch the wave or nose dive. But yea I need to find a sweet spot where I pop up further on that board and then it may solve my problem.
true the 7.0..could your steeper wave drop board...and i have seen pics
of guys with a bonzerish 5 fin set up....bruce has a them...so that be the ticket