Favorite old school surf film other than The Endless Summer?

Single_Fin_Orange

Jul 10, 2018
Florida
For me, all of the early Bruce Brown films and Dale Davis "The Golden Breed" had early shots of my old local beach (Silverstrand, Oxnard) prior to all the development there. Bruce always had a little bit of "comedy" added to his films which gave them more of an entertainment value. Many surf films that followed, were a little bit too "profoud" for me.
"The Golden Breed" was the only surf movie at the local video rental store when I was a kid. I loved that movie. The longboard resurgence hadn't happened yet, but I knew then I wanted an old school log. My favorite surf movie may not be old enough for this thread, but "Searching for Tom Curren" is always my go to.

Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
California
"The Golden Breed" was the only surf movie at the local video rental store when I was a kid. I loved that movie. The longboard resurgence hadn't happened yet, but I knew then I wanted an old school log. My favorite surf movie may not be old enough for this thread, but "Searching for Tom Curren" is always my go to.
Yeah Searching for TC.... good stuff but can't really be considered old......of course neither is Free Ride but it WAS one of the best movies of its era with Shaun Tomoson & Mark Richards tearing it up...... gr8 music soundtrack & lots of high performance surfing.

The oldies are a totally different kind of thing:
Slippery When Wet
Log Jam
Cat on a Hot Foam Board
on & on

Single_Fin_Orange

Jul 10, 2018
Florida
It's probably on the fast track to be a modern classic.
I'm just glad you brought up The Golden Breed, I'm going to watch that tonight. I don't remember where or why I have a copy, but I actually have it on DVD. I think it was copied from an old VHS version. I'm sure I can find them online, but I still like having the hard copies.

Nalu

Jan 19, 2021
Gualala, CA
Huge fan of all of the above from the 60's - surprisingly, one not mentioned yet is The Innermost Limits of Pure Fun. Love the movie, love the soundtrack and love the poster artwork!

the-innermost-limits-of-pure-fun.jpg

Knowbody

Nov 17, 2021
Oceanside
Free and Easy, The Performers.
Iv always tried to find the performers film. I was surfing doheny one evening and this old timer asked me if I watched old surf videos. I said yes why? He said I look like the surfers in the movie the performers.