Favorite 60’s

shadydave

Mar 10, 2014
Ayer Ma USA
Not a lot experience on 60s longboards, more experience on 70’s pintails growing up. That said, my worst one was a 65 Harbour. It just didn’t do what the rider wanted it to. I believe the fin was 80% of the problem . Lucked into this one (a clean 9’10 1966 G&S Frye) and it’s the total opposite: It really rides (in my opinion better than many modern shapes) like predictable, functional and stable stick. It turns, it nose rides, it’s fast. After seeing what that one sold for at auction (with multiple dings) a month or 2 ago (6000$????$) I’m wondering if I should still ride it still. I probably will as I didn’t pay even 15% of that auction price for it and I’d never look at a board as some type of investment because I’ve only ever spent discretionary money on them in the first place. View attachment 31318

View attachment 31319 View attachment 31320 View attachment 31321 View attachment 31322
What number is it? Should be in pencil on the stringer. I may have asked you before I just don’t remember.

Last edited:

Basenji703

Apr 2, 2014
Virginia Beach, VA
I have ridden my Morey Pope John Peck Penetrator , my G&S Midget Farrelly Stringerless, my Gordie Noserider and my Con Ugly. I guess my favorite was the Stringerless followed by the Penetrator. I enjoy riding my modern longboards much more. That being said, if someone has a 10' Surfboards Hawaii Model A in rider condition, I would be interested. I loved my friend's back in the day and I bet I would still love riding it. The one I have is 9'2" and is just too small.

Jaimo

Nov 19, 2006
San Diego
What number is it? Should be in pencil on the stringer. I may have asked you before I just don’t remember.
CB7F484A-0C2C-46ED-BA9B-9B2F6E940DE4.jpeg

Sorry Dave you did ask but I never replied because I forgot. These are the numbers on the stringer.

5FDE194E-C910-4979-8486-C3C110D62BCB.jpeg

Nalu

Jan 19, 2021
Gualala, CA
A very nice collection indeed! I remember that era of Velzy as a lot of my Junior High School buddies had those. I seem to remember those riding pretty good. The only problem with those is that they were glassed kinda weird and that they would delam and and turn brown easily. Yours is in damn good shape for it's age.
I got that Velzy for free as part of a board trade - it has a quite a few pressure dings, but it's overall in decent riding shape for an old popout. Key things I really like about it: high buoyancy, easy to paddle, easy to turn. Plus, check that fin out!

VelzyFin.jpg

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
I got that Velzy for free as part of a board trade - it has a quite a few pressure dings, but it's overall in decent riding shape for an old popout. Key things I really like about it: high buoyancy, easy to paddle, easy to turn. Plus, check that fin out!

View attachment 31376
It's sort of close to the old Bing fin of that era. You hit the nail on the head when you said buoyancy. To me, that is a very important characteristic that rarely gets mentioned, I have had some that that didn't float worth a shit. Otherwise, they could have been really nice boards.

Zufeldt

Apr 6, 2021
Los Angeles
Batton down the hatchet!

God that cracks me up.

I know nothing about this board besides I love it.
Taking it out tomorrow for a second romp around.
A preperformer performer. First run was quite fun.

See ya out there!

Attachments

• CBB622E8-EFFE-4A28-A037-1D177D132A5B.jpeg
    CBB622E8-EFFE-4A28-A037-1D177D132A5B.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 25

Surfertom

Mar 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, California
These are the last two of my 1960's relics:

1. 1967 Bing Nuuhiwa Lightweight
2. 1967 Roberts(Playa Del Ray) Performer copy. I had many more, but sold them all off over the years.
Sax-son,

Now that caught my eye. A Roberts! Are you from the Playa del Rey/Westchester area? Bob Milner was a good shaper.

I grew up there, started surfing Toes and Ballona Creek in 1964 (while it was working before several dredges and breakwater extension in Marina del Rey finally killed it.) There were a lot of Roberts and Webers there.

Cowabunga,

ST

Last edited:

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Sax-son,

Now that caught my eye. A Roberts! Are you from the Playa del Rey/Westchester area? Bob Milner was a good shaper.

I grew up there, started surfing Toes and Ballona Creek in 1964 (while it was working before several dredges and breakwater extension in Marina del Rey finally killed it.) There were a lot of Roberts and Webers there.

Cowabunga,

ST
Hi Tom,

I actually grew up in the Ventura County, Oxnard/Ventura area. Initially, I was more of a Dewey Weber and Jacobs guy. I was aware of the Roberts Surfshop for a number of years, but nobody I knew owned one. Fast forward to 1967, and I started to notice some of my friends showing up to the beach with all these beautiful Roberts boards. I really started to take notice.

I was in the market for a new surfboard and I had my eyes fixed on a new Weber Performer. A friend of mine was going to head to the Roberts shop and buy a new board, so I said let's both go down there and do some surfboard shopping. We hitchhiked down the PCH from Oxnard first going to the Weber shop in Marina Del Rey. I looked around the shop and could not find what I was looking for. In addition, everything there in stock was really expensive for the time. So then we made that decision to then head down the road to Playa Del Rey to the Roberts shop. Robert Milner was a great guy and he had a nice selection of boards and about $25.00 cheaper(that was a lot money back then) than any of the Webers that I had been looking at. Long story short, we both walked out of that shop with two brand new Roberts long boards. A 9'8" and a 9'3",

We then had the arduous task of hitchhiking back up to Ventura County with 2 longboards. We eventually made it back, but that was an adventure in itself. I would not recommend it. I told that story to Bob Milner himself at a vintage longboard meet about 6 years ago, he really got a kick out of that.

As a real young kid, our family lived in the Culver City/Mar Vista neighborhood. My dad would take us all to the beach at Ballona Creek. I remember all the fire pits and the swings and that was about it. That was years before I ever started surfing, but I was aware of the area.

P.S. The Robert board shown in the picture is not the same board I purchased new. I gave the Roberts to my brother and god knows what he did with it. I picked up this board years later and it is not as beautiful(even without the brown spots) as the one I bought new.

Take care.

Saxson

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA
Batton down the hatchet!

God that cracks me up.

I know nothing about this board besides I love it.
Taking it out tomorrow for a second romp around.
A preperformer performer. First run was quite fun.

See ya out there!
That is definitely a Performer 1.0. 1965-1966. I Rode a bunch of those. 2.0 was wider and had the rocker nose 1966-1968.