End of an Era

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Dawnpatrol, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:11 AM.

1. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    A true Ocean Beach institution that I have patronized dating back to 1970 when he carried blemished Aqua-Jet surfboards for a quarter of the price of a new one. I bought a 7' pin from him. Fun board but a wee bit too floaty. Over the years I got a fair price on boards, wetsuits and surfrack pads from Bob. Truly sad to see him pull out but he had one helluva run.

hankster likes this.
  2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Real surf shops are on the extinction list. Truly sad.

Dawnpatrol and hankster like this.
  3. hankster

hankster Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    USA California
    Man, this hits home--literally. I remember the old shop on Vicente, going in there and being amazed by all the beautiful guns, not to mention the heavy D.O.A. photos on the wall.

4. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
  5. PaulJensen

PaulJensen Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Washington State - USA
    My first board was a 7'0" Wise... Bought it in '72 at his shop which was right across the street from where my dad lived... Got my first wetsuit there too, a Surfer House angled chest-zip... I think each were $150, which was a ton of money to me back then... Spent a lot of days in that shop, avoiding my dad... I was a grom from the Est Bay trying to figure it all out... The pictures high on the walls, above the boards, only fueled the curiosity... I always love the smells when you opened the door... Neoprene, polyester resin and sandalwood wax... He sold clothes, mostly Ben Davis pants, leather belts and silk-screen shirts of the era... The real deal that is as lacking nowadays as surf movies showing at Civic Auditoriums and Women's Centers... Thanks again Bob for being there, providing inspiration and keeping it real...

[​IMG]

hankster likes this.
  6. hankster

hankster Active Member

Nov 12, 2013
    USA California
    I still call the surf report, three times a day. It was a lifesaver when I lived in Berkeley. I remember having to hit redial endlessly before they modernized the phone system.