El Toro Sailing school 10-12 years olds rescued by Santa Cruz surfers

miscreant

May 20, 2016
Another example of the abundance of stupid people allowed to make decisions for others.
I'm not following this logic.

Isn't the person listening to the stupid person more stupid?

Now I understand these were kids...

So, in this case, if we are pointing fingers at the stupid people, wouldn't we point it at the parents for dropping their kids off in the first place?

Just sayin'.

I do agree with you though, we are surrounded by stupid people trying to implement their will on others.

pintail

Feb 19, 2004
LA, California
I'm not following this logic.

Isn't the person listening to the stupid person more stupid?

Now I understand these were kids...

So, in this case, if we are pointing fingers at the stupid people, wouldn't we point it at the parents for dropping their kids off in the first place?

Just sayin'.

I do agree with you though, we are surrounded by stupid people trying to implement their will on others.
Well it seems in this case, the parents deferred to the short-brained individual who should have known better. And there's way too many of them around.

SeabassMan

Aug 8, 2019
Bodega Bay
I would not expect too many parents (if they do not surf, sail or are otherwise ocean minded to know much about the tides, swells and conditions.) I would surely expect the sailing school that takes shitty little sailboats like El Toros into the Pacific Ocean to know a thing or two about such things! I learned to sail on a tiny lake in my local town and those El Toros were the lowliest of the bunch. We called them "bathtubs" and we avoided them because they fill with water and SINK if you capsize them. And that is on a tiny, inland lake. They were like the Wavestorms of sailboats. You had to lie that you had sailed once before when you signed up for Sailing 101 so that you would go directly to a Sunfish. Anyway, putting kids in the sea in crappy sailboats seems crazy enough. Putting them in the sea without knowing the conditions is just irresponsible. I am shocked that this would happen in an ocean-centric town like Santa Cruz in this modern era of 2 week swell forecasts and such.

nedsurf

Jan 22, 2005
More information, including the fact that there was a high surf warning in place, and some pretty remarkable statements from the yacht club. Note also that there is a dredge present which is another condition for caution. Bad judgement - yup.

And drone footage - https://lookout.co/santacruz/coast-...y-young-sailors-were-that-surfers-were-nearby

Last edited: