Egg vs. Fish

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Jmazz, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Jmazz

Jmazz Active Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Ny
    Hi guys ,
    Question. ..i found that my egg shaped boards are more fickle then the fish boards I've been on.
    In what way is a fish easier to paddle into almost anything, but yet, my eggs are more if'y.
    During a higher tide my eggs don't work, But my fish does even though it's smaller and dims seems to similar.
    What are your thoughts
    I was contemplating getting rid my eggs and just sticking to my fish , or even making another long fish

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
  3. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Haha

4. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I think this is a good topic, but I'd include fish substitutes as well. I have a 6'4" Hynson quad fish that works well in most conditions, but have a 6-0 Lost Uber plank / Bottom Feeder hybrid that works as well, if not better. The shape is fish-like but the tail is rounded rather than twin pin. Both are epoxy. Not sure if riding them as twins would change my opinion:

[​IMG]

5. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    i think your asking about boards to ride in high tide > - east coast

my 2 cents:

from my experience in NJ and NY on a bigger swell and in general the waves get soft fat and rollie - i find that wider tail thicker boards are easier to get into those kind of waves (fish)

Eggs are usually thinner and slimmer tailed and unless your sitting on the inside feel more difficult

6. Zzz

Zzz Active Member

Aug 15, 2017
    CA
    What eggs do you have that you may get rid of? My favorite boards in both long period reef break and short-mid period beach break have been eggs recently.

Artz likes this.
  7. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    Most of he fish I’ve had in the past had lower rocker then the eggs I’ve had which make the fish the better paddler and wave catcher.

Woodside, Jmazz and Artz like this.
  8. Nilus

Nilus Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2008
    I find myself blurring the lines between these genres a lot more -- especially putting larger keels (sometimes with a trailer) in rounder tailed boards. But overall, there are probably too many variables to really do this topic justice.

Woodside and Jmazz like this.
  9. applebutter

applebutter Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I've found the Fowler Stoker V to be the best of both worlds

10. NCJohn

NCJohn Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Wilmington, NC
    My fish are much flatter both the bottom and the bottom contours with more parallel outlines and are good in flatter high tide waves The eggs I've surfed have more rocker and outline curve and some concave and excel in curvier waves with a little push. But there are variations of both that blur the lines.

Woodside and Jmazz like this.