Edge board pics

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
B0BF3B84-5ED3-40D3-AE69-91BC5429E5A5.jpeg
I've been surfing my Edge board for about two years now and it's the fastest I've ever gone on a surfboard. I ride this board about 80% of the time because I know it can handle anything. (Other two boards are a 9'8 Andreini McVee with slight nose concave and 8'5 Mackie SideCut Quad Fish)

In my experience I'd say I need to be back more over the fin when turning the Edge board
then say a standard Vaquero which turns and changes direction fairly well from the middle.
Being a 10' Andreini Vaquero Edge board I'm not looking to doing a whole lot of turning. Just looking for lined up faces and all out down the line speed which the board has plenty.

I'd say the biggest thing I have noticed is how well the board performs in chop / sub par conditions when the onshore winds turn on.
The closest spot to my home gets windy often (i.e. small crowds to no one out) but I still find some gems that are a lot of fun especially with the edge board.
The edge design just cuts right through. I feel no bounce or chop when riding. Just glides fast and smooth.

Another plus is the deck of the board is 23.5" at widest point but underneath the edge to edge is 19" at widest point. So tons of paddle power and stability, but when up and riding very forgiving leaning and turning rail to rail with narrower planing surface.

First of all if you haven’t seen the Kidman movie and/or read book that comes with it -Do!!! Explains it beautifully and you can see that it’s not just a weird big wave thing or retro thing or whatever -
the beautiful thing about the concept is that you can adapt it to any shape/outline apparently Phil Myers is even playing with channels incorporated in to his-

@Jonesy17 sums it up pretty well for me on ride aspects I remember reading about Greenough developing it for sub par conditions and thinking

- East Coast NC ... that’ll do pig!

@cuda as for Anderson and Andreini vs any others it was circumstance at first - since then I’ve contacted others with some success but for now these shapers have worked out great for me and been the easiest to contact and get boards in a “decent”timeframe
Id seen and heard of the boards for awhile in the obvious places and online , my local (CB Surfshop) carries Andersons and one showed up in a box of boards and sat for about 6 months in the rack. I ended up with a couple of pretty good sized gift certificates to the shop from in-laws and decided to get a board I’d never spend saved up/worked hard money on I wasn’t sure about - that way if it was not a good match then no loss - sell it and move on. That was the 6’4 and came with High speed fin. Needless to say it worked great for me ( see @Jonesy17 for descriptions).
Was worried that it was gonna ride like any old stubby single...nope
Even my buddy was out with me saw the first carve from behind and said he noticed even the water coming off looked different -
Knew Marc made them too and figured I’d take a chance on him as I knew his reputation was stellar.
The Serena is definitely an evolved edge board from his earlier ones ( and I believe amy you get from him will be as he has really dialed the concept in)- it’s not really that thick especially for the length- I’ve ridden it so far in knee-waist runners and up to wind blown head high or so and pitching. Smooth and faaaast. And much more maneuverable than I imagined. Gotta admit I fell in love with seductive lines and crossed my fingers... want to inquire about McVee Edge (buddy got one for his first edge and looooves it - 8’6)
The twin came from seeing a pic Anderson sent to the Boardroom show of a twin edge 6’2... and based on the success I’d had with the Pinot (my wife’s name for the purple one) I contacted him at the same time I hit up Marc. That board came alive in the fall one day when it all clicked fast down the line deep bottom turns (those rails!!!) and just going vert and breaking fins free - I til that day it was close to being on the chopping block as it seemed a really close ride to the Pinot especially after slapping the blade in (worth every penny by the way at least in shorter boards).
And I’ve got a 7’2” single fin edge from Anderson coming someday...after all this is passed
@cuda here’s a basic pic of Serena with unofficial measurement
Almost forgot - had a 6’6 Eavey 5 fin bonzer for years that was my go to-
Main difference is in handling of chop and also speed- the edge boards seem to bring the speed with them whereas others are fast and wonderful but need a little something for it to kick in at least in
And I’d never ridden a Serena before but had picked @NCJohn ’s C bucket which was a hot rod in its own right but in retrospect even at around 7’ lacked the maneuverability and drive off the bottom.
And yes I do have edge fish in my sights though I may go a different route with my next fish... Hope this helps -
Also @Veterano would like to know what did and didn’t click with you and also any mods you’re having Marc do

DJR

Feb 1, 2018
Carolina Beach NC
would you mind elaborating on what you like about them? How would you compare these to Bonzers? Asking for a friend who's name might rhyme with teeth.
Serious question though, as recovering a kool-aid junky what am I missing by not having an Edge Board in my quiver? Could you compare an Edge Serena with a trad. version for instance. I have a Serena and have ridden more than a few Andreini's.
Also, of the 5 or so main proponents of this design how did you end up picking Andreini and Scott instead of Manny, Ellis or Bob Duncan. do their designs differ?

Feel free to educate me. I've only seen a couple of these in person. the Andreini I saw was thick as a brick and quite honestly scared me off of any prior interest I had. the promo video was also not all that impressive.

also really good article by Steve Shearer in The Surfers Journal 28.4

DanSan

Jun 7, 2012
Soquel,CA

I found this on the same channel as the innermost limits edge vid. Pretty short but there's not a lot of edge footage out there.

I have the APE edge and I love it. I use the GL flex narrow base in it and it works a little better than the high speed for me. A little more drive.

The biggest benefit I've noticed is you get more paddle power and it's also got a lot of speed. For me it's similar to surfing a hull but a little less extreme. The Andreini edge is also a lot different from the APE edge. APE edge is more like a tri-plane with a flatter bottom. I think Andreini kind of scoops out the bottom on his edge a little more to give it more lift. I've never surfed an Andreini edge but they look great.

I have seen darshan up close on this...mach speeds....

BrazilButtNut

Sep 26, 2018
Ventura, CA

Thought you might like to check out Ellis Ericson's parts starting at times 7:10, 10:21 & 27:32
That thruster edge with the paddle fins. How cool is that thing! Thanks for the rec. I saw this a while back but forgot there was edge footage in there. Great to rewatch.

BrazilButtNut

Sep 26, 2018
Ventura, CA

Thought you might like to check out Ellis Ericson's parts starting at times 7:10, 10:21 & 27:32
The fins in Alex Knost's bonzers were made by finflex (on instagram). I wish he talked about them in the clip. I messaged him and he said those fins were made with foam centers to reduce the weight you sometimes get with a bonzer because of all of that fin. He made the center fins and the runners.