Edge board pics

kpd73

May 8, 2013
USA Rhode Island
I agree, rhymes with Manny.
I've been curious at best, but after reading that extensive SJ article with Greenough and Rastovich...never really inspired to look further.
They do appear to just glide over chop and hold insane speed through the flats, but outside of that...?
What are we missing?
Is there a Tyler Durden model?

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
Vo Dielun. AKA Rhode Island
K
lol
I wooda said "bow legged Granny"

Havent seen read the article- So it's all about cutting thru choppy conditions?
Tyler Durden model sounds sweet- too bad bar of soap is already taken.

on another Kool-aide note I have heard from reputable sources that Duo's are dashit.
Maybe the Durden Model could be a Dou Edge - makes sense yahno

Last edited:
Reactions: DJR

Jonesy17

Jun 19, 2006
I've been surfing my Edge board for about two years now and it's the fastest I've ever gone on a surfboard. I ride this board about 80% of the time because I know it can handle anything. (Other two boards are a 9'8 Andreini McVee with slight nose concave and 8'5 Mackie SideCut Quad Fish)

In my experience I'd say I need to be back more over the fin when turning the Edge board
then say a standard Vaquero which turns and changes direction fairly well from the middle.
Being a 10' Andreini Vaquero Edge board I'm not looking to doing a whole lot of turning. Just looking for lined up faces and all out down the line speed which the board has plenty.

I'd say the biggest thing I have noticed is how well the board performs in chop / sub par conditions when the onshore winds turn on.
The closest spot to my home gets windy often (i.e. small crowds to no one out) but I still find some gems that are a lot of fun especially with the edge board.
The edge design just cuts right through. I feel no bounce or chop when riding. Just glides fast and smooth.

Another plus is the deck of the board is 23.5" at widest point but underneath the edge to edge is 19" at widest point. So tons of paddle power and stability, but when up and riding very forgiving leaning and turning rail to rail with narrower planing surface.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 216

Jonesy17

Jun 19, 2006
When I’m going fast it is much easier for me to transition from rail to rail. I just transfer weight between toes to heels (like snowboarding) and the board effortlessly goes from rail to rail. So I would say, yes. I believe what I’m feeling at higher speeds is board lifting up on center section between the edges. Hope that answer helps.

cuda

Aug 23, 2007
Vo Dielun. AKA Rhode Island
Jonesy thanks for your review of the board.
HoS I rewatched the promo video again.
I havent looked at it in a year or so. The soundtrack and narrative werent really working for me but to each their own, it was a good chance to see the board in average and juicy conditions. I'm not sure either set up was ideal for that specific board.
Anyhow, agreed, the board did seem to have some squirt in the OBSF portion but off the bottom :0, Mister Toads Wild Ride, and bleeding off speed seemed a little dicey kudos to the test pilot. Is this what the Stage VI (PowerBlade) fin is for? Anyone?
(imo) In the weaker waves it was kinda meh. Then again, I think short eggs, hulls and retro singles tend to struggle to get out of their own way in beach breaks. More fins or more face (Malibu maybe) mo better.
I'd like to see the OBSF revisited on Dave's edge Serena.
Are there any edits of Edges boards in the 7'- 8' range?

BrazilButtNut

Sep 26, 2018
Ventura, CA
Jonesy thanks for your review of the board.
HoS I rewatched the promo video again.
I havent looked at it in a year or so. The soundtrack and narrative werent really working for me but to each their own, it was a good chance to see the board in average and juicy conditions. I'm not sure either set up was ideal for that specific board.
Anyhow, agreed, the board did seem to have some squirt in the OBSF portion but off the bottom :0, Mister Toads Wild Ride, and bleeding off speed seemed a little dicey kudos to the test pilot. Is this what the Stage VI (PowerBlade) fin is for? Anyone?
(imo) In the weaker waves it was kinda meh. Then again, I think short eggs, hulls and retro singles tend to struggle to get out of their own way in beach breaks. More fins or more face (Malibu maybe) mo better.
I'd like to see the OBSF revisited on Dave's edge Serena.
Are there any edits of Edges boards in the 7'- 8' range?

I found this on the same channel as the innermost limits edge vid. Pretty short but there's not a lot of edge footage out there.

I have the APE edge and I love it. I use the GL flex narrow base in it and it works a little better than the high speed for me. A little more drive.

The biggest benefit I've noticed is you get more paddle power and it's also got a lot of speed. For me it's similar to surfing a hull but a little less extreme. The Andreini edge is also a lot different from the APE edge. APE edge is more like a tri-plane with a flatter bottom. I think Andreini kind of scoops out the bottom on his edge a little more to give it more lift. I've never surfed an Andreini edge but they look great.