East Coast Winter Rituals

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Largoazul, Dec 7, 2019.

1. unforgiven

unforgiven Member

May 10, 2006
    Screenshot_20191207-200952~2.png "don't leave home without it"

2. Gallery

Gallery Member

Jul 3, 2018
    New Jersey
    I use one of these: https://dryrobe.com/

I had no idea they existed until my wife found it and bought it for me for Christmas one year. It makes surfing in the winter so much more tolerable.

JMJackFish likes this.
  3. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Oh my God. I’m feeling unprepared and downright deprived

4. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Cuss
    Fill yeti cup with tea or coffee
    Leave it under house Walk across street
    Surf balls off
    Come home. Hot shower outside. Drink from cup. Cuss because I like cussin’

5. Bighouse

Bighouse Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Thoughts:
    -The poncho appeals to me but I still tease the guys who wear them and use a changing Matt.
    -Yeti mug with extra coffee is a huge bonus
    -I change at home unless I’m feeling chatty. May have to update my cleaning regiment cause I left the wetsuit stank on a pair of jeans a few days after I drove home in a stinky wetsuit

DJR likes this.
  6. Spritzer

Spritzer Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    That looks a whole lot better than the thin poncho for winter time.

Gallery and Ricksurfin like this.
  7. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Pack car night before.
    Set alarm four hours before sunrise.
    Wake up, oddly, before alarm goes off (oddly because the time will vary, yet in all my decades of doing this the alarm has only woken me twice).
    Stop at Wawa's before Bay Bridge for coffee, water, protein bar, bananas. (Sweetheart who works the night shift, Flo, 70s easy, grew up in San Diego and surfed back in the day, always comps my coffee and tells me to be safe.)
    Listen to surf podcast or music for rest of three hour drive. No politics. Drive often the most peaceful time of the week, used to want to live near the shore but the distance guarantees first-time-ever stoke, always thought something as wonderful (for lack of a better word) as surfing should require a bit of work, everything I've ever known in this world that's worthwhile is also, at times, difficult. You should have to earn it.
    Pull into lot in time to suit up and paddle out at first light.
    Surf four or five hours, used to try to have sessions at least as long as drive time, getting old. (Last session lasted about 15 minutes, fell on edge of board like falling on fence, cracked two ribs, worth it.)
    Winter surfing: no crowds, often no people, just a wild horse or two, sand, sea, sky.

sightpoint, michael, Thor and 6 others like this.
  8. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Dryrobe is a brand just the other side of town for me and until I had one, never saw the appeal.

However, I pretty much couldn't live without one now, especially for the drive back, where I like to just roll the top half of my suit down. Keeps the seat dry, too.

9. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Poidog, 4 hours is good going, that would finish me these days... I hear you on the 'round trip value' though.

10. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I have one too - going on my 3rd winter with it & every time I slip it on, I say a little thanks to my mom & wife for getting it for me for my birthday

Planktom and Gallery like this.