Dudes smoking crack selling surfboards

Flip756

Mar 4, 2016
USA North Carolina
I've got a good buddy who ran a shop called BackCountry Ski and Sports where I grew up (Salem, Va). When BackCountrydotcom opened the new distribution warehouse in Christiansburg the name of the two locally owned stores became a hot topic. Local gear stores are now closed (for many reasons but includes Backcountrydotcom moving to town). I can relate to your feelings.

longboardkook

Jun 19, 2020
Denver, ColoRADo
I've got a good buddy who ran a shop called BackCountry Ski and Sports where I grew up (Salem, Va). When BackCountrydotcom opened the new distribution warehouse in Christiansburg the name of the two locally owned stores became a hot topic. Local gear stores are now closed (for many reasons but includes Backcountrydotcom moving to town). I can relate to your feelings.
I have been trying to deal with Backcountrydotcom and they are giving me the, we don't own that company excuse. Of course the company we are speaking about has the same address...

Yeah, I'm fighting clouds here but when core business like Backcountrydotcom or Quicksilver or whatever become too big and Wall Street money shows up to buy the business with a big fat check from the original founders, in come the kooks to run the show where product and initial purpose of the core business becomes secondary to revenue streams and profits. Eventually the company dies on the vine and becomes the next inevitable Ocean Pacific brand or Hang Ten brand to be sold on Walmart racks and wither away...

hankster

Nov 12, 2013
San Francisco
I witnessed the same thing happen to The North Face. I grew up with the founders son, we attended public school, no less, together. Eventually some Hong Kong based consortium bought them out. The brand (quality) suffered for years.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
I once was a very good customer f Sierra Trading Post. Then they were bought out by the same company that owns Home Goods, TJMax, Marshalls, and a couple of other stores. Right from the start the quality went down hill. There were a lot less out door equipment. Haven’t shop there n a long time. San to hear that Back Country is going in that direction. Back Country was started in Park City Ut. They hired people that knew what’s what with all the goods they sold. Had friends that worked there. Genevis a Fly Fish Guild and a top rated Ski Instructor. N the off season he would be training other employees on Fly Fishing and Ski Gear. But that’s Capitalism in the USA.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
Three Rivers, CA

kclibman

May 23, 2018
L.A. County
Monthly reminder that that blow-in Cal can get fucked. If you see him at Malibu or Porto, be sure to burn him because I definitely will.

Here's a Florida-shaped Takayama posted yesterday for $250:

And here's our wannabe-actor-monkey-fucking-a-coconut-"hull"-rider selling it today for $650 with some edited photos, exposure boosted:

Zzz

Aug 15, 2017
CA
Monthly reminder that that blow-in Cal can get fucked. If you see him at Malibu or Porto, be sure to burn him because I definitely will.

Here's a Florida-shaped Takayama posted yesterday for $250:

And here's our wannabe-actor-monkey-fucking-a-coconut-"hull"-rider selling it today for $650 with some edited photos, exposure boosted:
“Don’t mince words, tell us how you really feel”. I agree that this is the shitty kind of flipping.