Duct Tape At HB starting now 9:40 PDT

FirstPointEric

Staff member
May 9, 2010
USA California and Nashville, TNN
Tomorrow is the semis and then presumably the finals. The men completed the QFs and here’s what’s on tap for mañana. Start time is TBD.

E4380981-CA05-4FCF-8EF2-D68027DEE758.jpeg

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Kaipo is a bit annoying but at least Turpel isn’t there!

As usual Matt Chojnacki is the most erudite of the coms team, proper intelligent insight and a full knowledge of history. His insta live streams between the heats he’s commentating are worth watching.

I can’t see anyone beating Justin quintal tomorrow

West81

Jun 28, 2021
Hollandia
Been watching the replays of the female rounds with my girls yesterday, trying to show them women do cool stuff too. Pretty gnarly so close to the jetty.

Was the Duct Tape always this contest-like? I thought it was more of a anything goes type thing, with strict requirements on the equipment being traditional and whatnot

jory

Dec 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Been watching the replays of the female rounds with my girls yesterday, trying to show them women do cool stuff too. Pretty gnarly so close to the jetty.

Was the Duct Tape always this contest-like? I thought it was more of a anything goes type thing, with strict requirements on the equipment being traditional and whatnot
It’s not a proper duct tape. Short story is that the WSL wanted to just run a single event for their title this year, Tudor and lots of others called them out on it. They backtracked and have run a further two events alongside existing shortboard events ( which is why they haven’t been at world class logging waves - Manly & Huntingdon )
Vans were already bankrolling the US Open so one would imagine the WSL had to ask if they could piggyback that. You’ve gotta imagine it entertained Joels sense of messing with them for them to do that.

Notice the other duct tape events are titled “Joel tudor duct tape” & this isn’t. Also note that they haven’t let Joel anywhere near the commentary booth!