Does surfing need more enforcers and enforcement?

Does surfing need more enforcers and enforcement?

• Respect the spot! FNG

Votes: 29 69.0%
  • Life is good, may the force be with you.

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mightyrime

Nov 10, 2020
oceanside ca
When I got back into surfing I took a verbal beat down from an enforcer type at a Los Angeles break. I was in the wrong, I dropped in on somebody, but not on purpose I just did not see them paddling in deeper when I looked.
Anyways it was Mr. Enforcers best friend i dropped on. This guy went insane much like the video. He followed me to the beach, threatened to kick my ass, threatened to kick my ass if i ever surfed there again and on and on. He was probably in his mid sixties and I was in my late thirties. Both of us adults. I tried to apologize and did not deny that i was in the wrong, but it did not matter.
It really sucked. I personally hate conflict. I feel like it gave me PTSD anywhere i would surf for about 4 weeks. I did become i would say overly cautious to make sure the wave i paddled into was indeed my wave.
So I guess I did learn something or get a reinforcement of what i already knew.
Whats nuts is i went back to the spot a few times and the guy remembered me and totally vibed me but did not chase me out of the break. And i was darn sure not to fuck up.

Looking back I would have learned the same lesson If the guy spoke to me sternly but politely... kind of like how I am as a dad speaking to my kids trying to teach them life lessons.

I think the rules still apply and people should be reminded, but in an adult conversation way. Violence is such a greater problem in mankind and i dont think its needed in the lineup ever.

Whats really silly looking back on this is that the break this happened at was a total learner / kids spot that rarely gets above 2'. Not a wave at all worth arguing over.

Howeezey

Apr 12, 2021
redondo
When I got back into surfing I took a verbal beat down from an enforcer type at a Los Angeles break. I was in the wrong, I dropped in on somebody, but not on purpose I just did not see them paddling in deeper when I looked.
Anyways it was Mr. Enforcers best friend i dropped on. This guy went insane much like the video. He followed me to the beach, threatened to kick my ass, threatened to kick my ass if i ever surfed there again and on and on. He was probably in his mid sixties and I was in my late thirties. Both of us adults. I tried to apologize and did not deny that i was in the wrong, but it did not matter.
It really sucked. I personally hate conflict. I feel like it gave me PTSD anywhere i would surf for about 4 weeks. I did become i would say overly cautious to make sure the wave i paddled into was indeed my wave.
Whats nuts is i went back to the spot a few times and the guy remembered me and totally vibed me but did not chase me out of the break. And i was darn sure not to fuck up.

Looking back I would have learned the same lesson If the guy spoke to me sternly but politely... kind of like how I am as a dad speaking to my kids trying to teach them life lessons.

I think the rules still apply and people should be reminded, but in an adult conversation way. Violence is such a greater problem in mankind and i dont think its needed in the lineup ever.

Whats really silly looking back on this is that the break this happened at was a total learner / kids spot that rarely gets above 2'. Not a wave at all worth arguing over.
This is a most excellent post. Thank you for sharing.

Bodhi1502

May 12, 2021
San Diego
I just keep getting bigger boards and more patient at picking waves or go paddle out away from the peak. I rather surf knee high crap alone then battle with any kind of crowd these days. Just want to be in the ocean and get a good vibe to carry through the day. I don’t even want to be around any of this even when I’m not on either end of it.

Outside

Dec 12, 2021
Garden City, NY
Sometimes people do some truly stupid crap. Years ago I drove out to Montauk in an old S-10 Blazer I had registered at my home in NC, to surf with a friend from there. We drove around checking some of the less popular spots and hiked in to check one of the more obscure breaks. When we returned a vehicle was parked behind mine and a young fellow was preoccupied scratching "GO HOME" in the paint on my drivers side door with a rock. He was about the stature of my little sister and bolted for his car. I gave him a choice to involve the police or lose his drivers side view mirror. His rock made quick work of the Range Rover mirror and we were all on our way. Still sucks thinking about it.

pintail

Feb 19, 2004
LA, California
Two of my examples: First was a rare, experimental one with a good result. I had paddled out to a spot next to pier that reliably puts out a good wave. A guy was already out on his short board, and was clearly a good surfer. I paddled farther to the shoulder in the lineup. Guy gives me stinkeye. First wave comes right to me, as I start to take off, the guy drops in right in front and I had pull out. I was really pissed, not having seen him before, etc, but when he paddled back out I said to him "nice wave. I don't think anyone could have gotten more out of that one." The guys whole attitude changed. He smiled and said some stuff about how the swell was that morning. After that, we happily traded waves the rest of the session, no one else out.
Second was very different, especially since my son, age 12 was involved. Surfing a marginal beach break with a sandbar offering some shape. Fat dude on a surfski paddling all around, sees my son take off and almost runs him over. I yell at him to keep the fk away from him. On my son's next wave, same thing, but this time his kayak hits the side of my son's board, making him fall in shallow water. I was seething. Guy was in the shorebreak. Walked over to the guy who saw me coming and I told him that if he ever got close to my son again, I'd break his elbow. I meant it and I believe he saw that. He left the beach, dragging the surf ski away. Not sure how my son took that scene, actually, but I felt somewhat good about myself in having only told him what was going to happen while being furious, rather than doing a monkey dance and pushing him around.

Some people, you just have to deal with, others you can reason with.

Sax-son

Nov 23, 2019
High Sierras, CA

There are all kinds of situations in surfing that may be as easy as someone just not "seeing" another person already on the wave. That has happened to me a few times over the years. That is a completely different situation than those intentionally dropping in on you with impunity. In today's world, many are walking around with a hair trigger temper and that sense of entitlement, you have to ask yourself if it is worth possibly punching it out with some nutcase where you and/or the other person could get seriously hurt? Afterwards, you are left thinking "why did I do that"?

Surfing in my opinion is perhaps one of the most "ego'd" out sport I have ever been involved with. That in conjunction with disrespectful personalities permeate this sport. I have asked myself "Why did it become like that, and does it attract a certain personality? That has always been the part of surfing that I never liked.

Last edited:

txgrinder

Jan 11, 2020
Texas USA
It's easy to get caught up in the aggressive violence while surfing. I had to consistently remind myself that this sport is supposed to be about fun. If not, you are not into it for the right reasons. I had to adopt the late great Mike Doyle's statement to just go out and have some fun. I had to remind myself that there were crowds and kooky surfers when I first started in the early 1960's. It boils down to common sense and the realization that there are a lot of people who like to surf. Unfortunately, there are those who only care about themselves and they will be out there our whole lives. I have had my share of "scrapes" over the years, but none over surfing. I won't allow that to happen.
This kind of goes back to that thread about surfing unpopular spots or something like that. Always easy to find a peak to yourself and not follow like cattle to the Cardiffs and Terramars of the world.