Does anyone own a Hyundai Kona or a newish Toyota Corolla Hatchback?

hullogfish

Dec 22, 2006
San Diego North
Looking at a new Kona or Corolla hatchback and I have confirmation that a 9'0 fits in the Corolla Hatch, but not sure about longer. The Kona is remarkably short, so I am not sure...I take boards to work and need to be able to lock them inside the car. I would take a board to the dealerships, but the salespeople won't take no for an answer after I just leave without buying. Any help 'yall have is appreciated.

306Bing

Oct 1, 2015
OCNJ
Be careful with the Hyundai or Kia. They are uninsurable for certain years/models for State Farm and Allstate won’t write any models between 2011 - 2019

JVRI

Nov 15, 2021
Rhode Island
Seems like you might have your mind made up on those 2 models but for sustainability’s sake I’ll throw at the Prius. The standard hatchbacks are very reliable, comfortable to drive and I easily get a 10’ in the car with the nose on the dash. I typically roll up to the beach with 2-3 boards. Unexpectedly it’s turned into a perfect little surf vehicle.

Wax

Feb 4, 2023
Maine
Seems like you might have your mind made up on those 2 models but for sustainability’s sake I’ll throw at the Prius. The standard hatchbacks are very reliable, comfortable to drive and I easily get a 10’ in the car with the nose on the dash. I typically roll up to the beach with 2-3 boards. Unexpectedly it’s turned into a perfect little surf vehicle.
Interesting info on the Prius, never expected them to have that much room! Do you have the normal Prius or the older Prius-v that I understand they stopped making?

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
The Insurance companies say that that some Hyundai and Kia models are two easy to steal. Locking up your Longboard inside your Hyundai and or Kia, along with wetsuits, fins and other surf gear. Will just be the cherry on the cake for Auto thieves.

JVRI

Nov 15, 2021
Rhode Island
Interesting info on the Prius, never expected them to have that much room! Do you have the normal Prius or the older Prius-v that I understand they stopped making?
2011 standard size. My in-laws have a Prius-V it’s not a good car IMO. It’s like a cheaper, stretched out version and it drives a little wild, like they didn’t get it quite dialed in (no surprise they stopped making them). The standard Prius is finely tuned, only maintenance I’ve ever had to do to the car in the last 10 years is new tires and oil changes every 8k miles.

hullogfish

Dec 22, 2006
San Diego North
Prius is not on the menu for me, as I am looking at the Kona N and Corolla GR, two cars that are decidedly un-Prius-like. I am trying to talk the wife into a Prius though, the newer ones look amazing and I have a co-worker that has found the sweet spot with three different Prii (the plural of Prius, I definitely had to look that up). He buys them with 80,000ish miles on them, then drives them until 150000, has the batteries checked, then either unloads( usually) them or drives them closer to 175000 and then sells them. He has done some re-conditioned batteries but feels it isn't worth the cost. Side bar, he had the catalytic converter stolen off of one and it sent the poor car into an electrical tailspin so bad he thrifted the car (200,000 miles) to charity.

ugoinright?

Sep 13, 2020
The OC Bubble
Prius is not on the menu for me, as I am looking at the Kona N and Corolla GR, two cars that are decidedly un-Prius-like. I am trying to talk the wife into a Prius though, the newer ones look amazing and I have a co-worker that has found the sweet spot with three different Prii (the plural of Prius, I definitely had to look that up). He buys them with 80,000ish miles on them, then drives them until 150000, has the batteries checked, then either unloads( usually) them or drives them closer to 175000 and then sells them. He has done some re-conditioned batteries but feels it isn't worth the cost. Side bar, he had the catalytic converter stolen off of one and it sent the poor car into an electrical tailspin so bad he thrifted the car (200,000 miles) to charity.

$50 for the Prius catalytic converter cover on eBay
$50 to get it installed

The newest Prius can be option with a catalytic converter cover for about $150.