Ding repair advice - epoxy

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by longhairhippie, Sep 16, 2020.

1. longhairhippie

longhairhippie Active Member

Mar 31, 2011
    USA
    A friend dropped off a board for me to repair. It’s actually a board of a friend of his and my friend didn’t know it was epoxy. I’m not too familiar repairing epoxy boards. I’m not even sure it’s open to the foam, it looks cosmetic to me. Is there a good way to test that it’s open? Any instructional videos or tips on doing the repair? Thanks for any input. 7ECBB78C-75A3-491A-9BAD-CD273B3FA394.jpeg

2. dsquare

dsquare Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    That looks pretty superficial. I'd sand it up and put some thin epoxy on it, not sure I'd bother with glass cloth unless it was soft or you wanted to reinforce. Maybe a couple layers, sand and paint. Don't use polyester resin or it will eat away at the board. Won't need much epoxy at all.

3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I don’t know of a way to test if a ding is open to the foam. I would treat it as if it ‘is’ open. Repair as if it were a PU/PE board by prepping the area, laminate a glass patch (using epoxy), fill coat (epoxy), sand and blend. If you can match the paint, give it a spray and blend in. When in doubt on epoxy repairs, check the master Boardlady.com.

4. SMUKES

SMUKES Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Message Jim Phillips

5. MrChristmas

MrChristmas Active Member

Dec 10, 2014
    USA California
    Here's a handy reference for epoxy repairs.
    https://boardlady.com/index.htm

Artz likes this.
  6. Macilious

Macilious Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    my ghetto fix: Sun Cure Epoxy and nail polish.

Artz and VitaminC like this.
  7. longhairhippie

longhairhippie Active Member

Mar 31, 2011
    USA
    Thanks for everyone’s help. I put three layers of glass on it and painted white since I didn’t feel like color matching.

Artz likes this.