delam

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by changeissimple, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Bighouse

Bighouse Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    SdSurferguy wrote:
    Wishing I had read this earlier. Just dropped off a great shitty wave board ( heavily ridden on the east coast) with an 8" round delam near the tail. Ding guy is top notch, still very nervous to get it back.

But I did coordinate it perfectly with the birth of my 3rd child! No need to pester the ding guy to get it back quickly!

2. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    fuck delam. i feel that shit under my feet, i deal with it. in one of 2 ways. cut the shit out, or dump the board,
    any of you people that lust let that shit be... i guarantee, you are addressing shit in life others of us just let be.

3. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    SdSurferguy wrote:
    He's not kidding, the G&S I got from him had a football size bubble on the deck and he was surfing it. Almost feel bad about removing the "gas pedal" from that board.

4. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    I find the biggest deal with repairing delams is to make sure the foam is dry before repairing it. If not, don't bother fixing it. It will just pop again.

If you would like some advice on fixing them just PM me.

5. changeissimple

changeissimple Member

Dec 18, 2014
    I tackled the repairs on my two boards. I took on the fish first as it is not a high stakes board, then once successful with that, I went to the log. Photos in this link. I am happy to share my strategy with anyone in need of help. I was intimidated to tackle this project but am happy I did and feel confident in the repairs.
    Cut out - sand - qcell - sand - 3 layers of glass - sand, sand, sand, sand, and more sanding - hot coat - sand - paint - sand - surf

photos here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B886ptbQcubUcHJ4WlpMeV9uazg&usp=sharing

Attached files
    [​IMG]

6. whitey

whitey Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Exactly, and it can last. My longest delam repair is 6 years old, one had had repaired by a pro twice that. No holes--cut it out!

7. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    i rode a thruster back in the 80s/90s with a massive deck delam. basically the entire part you'd stand on. i knew if i ever punctured the glass that would be all she wrote. still have the board. never did ding the deck. she's dry and puffy safely stored under the house.

interesting note about airbrush.

there's a guy here who vac bags. i have a log that i loan to friends and family. it developed a large delam and the vac bag guy fixed it proper. that was probably four years ago and no recurring delam issues.

8. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    mike... reminds me of that fish that brom made to look all busted up. the one he brought to your movie deal at hurley.

9. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    pilau wrote:
    Chris Falon , airbrush master, did that Brom.

10. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    miscreant wrote:
    that board was epic. it was so perfectly executed. you had to hold it just to comprehend that it was a brand new flawless craft.

not disclosing delam is lame. that's a bad karma accelerator generator.