Davenport surfboards. Got one? Ridden one?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by icecreamheadache, Aug 8, 2019.

1. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Anyone got any thoughts on Adam Davenport’s shapes? Been seeing more of his logs floating around here and some of ‘em are looking super slick...

Gansett likes this.
  2. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I almost bought one recently. They seem to be top quality in every way - shape, glassing, details...

northbeachboy likes this.
  3. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    PM Human aka Dogleg (Nick) on the forum.

4. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I've been intrigued by his Thing model since I first saw one. The hips are calling to me. Anybody got one they want to part with?

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I think he and Jim Phillips are both shaping in Portugal right now.

6. robsawyer

robsawyer Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Bi-Coastal
    I have a Thing Model. Good buddy has a BKNR. Adam is a great guy. Gene Cooper, Lance Carson and Wayne Rich all trust him and his team with glassing. That should tell you all you need to know on his workmanship!

Great guy, easy to work with, laid back and excellent shaper. Highly recommended.

northbeachboy likes this.
  7. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    That Thing model was the one I was eyeballing most. How’s the ride? How long did you get?

8. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Ice cream - I don’t have a thing model laying around, but I do have a Cub, Cadejo, and Cadejo pintail if you ever want to give them a try. I believe Adam has a personal Thing as well that I could likely arrange for you to ride.

But, to answer your question, like a floating sidewalk.

9. robsawyer

robsawyer Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Bi-Coastal
    I have a 10' Thing. I bought it 7 years ago. Speaking with Adam - he tells me that the shape has been refined since then - but I love the shape. He calls it a wide template pig - which I guess could be true. It certainly has wide point aft of center - but it holds a bit fuller in the nose than a traditional pig would. Im not a small dude - 6'2" x 195-200lbs. The Thing does a great job paddling in and maintaining speed through the mushy beach break sections I encounter on the Gulf Coast. I have also surfed the board on the West Coast (mostly San O) and likewise found the board to do a great job navigating the slower sections. The board does want to be a bit more in the pocket for a nose ride (not really a board that will allow you to chill on the nose way out on the shoulder). Here are a few pics of it in action on the upper Texas beach breaks I frequent when home on the Gulf Coast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    I picked up a 9'2 Davenport California Classic Pintail 9'2 x 22 5/8"x 3"x 17"x 15 1/2". Originally offered here by @northbeachboy. I picked it up from @cuda a few months ago. Triple-stringer, center 3/4" redwood with offset 1/4" dark high-density foam. Volan 8oz. all around with 3" laps and 4oz. deck patch. Weight appx. 16-17lbs. Mildly pinched 50/50 rails, tail-kick, and flat/mildly rolled bottom. Glass-on Sunrise Boardworks fin.

board is still in like-new condition after all these years, not sure how much it was surfed by previous owners but i take it out often when the waves are bigger round these parts. I love the board and as others have stated the craftsmanship is top notch.

IMG_0287.jpg IMG_0296.jpg

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019