Custom vs. Stock

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by samo, Feb 1, 2020.

1. thomas

thomas Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Pretty sure this is why Larmo stopped doing customs...

2. Macilious

Macilious Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I end up doing customs most of the time because I'm a white Ben Aipa.. wAipa... so it's hard for me to find boards that will float me on the rack.

What's worked for me is picking the board style that I want and then picking the shaper (i.e. Bonzer = Malcolm). Then give'em an idea of what you want, etc. Then TRUST your shaper and be honest with yourself. I have ordered plenty of boards that were amazing boards... but they weren't a fit for me. In every case it was Indian and not the arrow.

Artz likes this.
  3. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

2 customs that I currently have both worked out very well for me. Also 1 shaped for someone else who whiffed on the board and I picked it up which works very well. Favorite of all time was one shaped for someone else of similar size that I decided to let go, and afterwards realized the err of my ways, and regret it. Also had a custom that was just not good for me. Good board, just not for me, and a few purchased off CL or locally, that just didn’t fit and were launched quickly. However outside of color on the customs, I’ve allowed the shaper to do their thing with input as to what I wanted size wise, and how & where I intended to surf it, enjoyed the process & conversations to get there and seeing 1st hand how they worked.

Artz likes this.
  4. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Some of the interesting customs I've had guys order from me.

1. A guy brought in his favorite fin (pre thruster days)...... he said, "make it for this. 7'4'".

2. A friend walking across the boat yard to check on an engine part delivery yelled over to me "Hey Bruce, I need a new one, let me know when it's ready".
    I replied "okay, whattaya want?"
    He said "You know....... do your thing."

5. Single_Fin_Orange

Single_Fin_Orange Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Florida
    I love the 2nd example on this one. If you are lucky enough to surf the same breaks with the person who shapes your boards, that's an awesome thing.

6. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    funny story comes to mind with Mr. Fowler, I must've have ordered 4 different versions of what he used to call the stoker v machine off him, best one was the first one he shaped me without any input from me but length :D, cheers Mr. Fowler!!!

DanSan and T-Bone like this.
  7. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    You're not the only one that says that.

Read my lips "creative license".
    ;-)

DanSan likes this.
  8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    a quiet cabin in the woods
    ordering a custom is as much a part of surfing as paddling out..

9. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Ordered my first custom in 40+ years from Matt a few years ago. Gave him a rough idea of what I wanted, along with wood for a tail block. He nailed the board and even switched out the wood for something more "shaper friendly". Could not have been easier to work with from day 1. The board is one board that will never be sold. Magic.

All others are JB or CL boards and one "off the shelf" from Bruce.

10. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Same here ...