Current Surf Industry Dealings

shapewright

Aug 6, 2006
USA California
Without CNC the gangbuster labels wouldn’t be where they are today.
In the days of a stable of shapers each doing 8 hand shapes a day.
But, each shaper put their tweek on the models, an example, I never got to meet him, Dan Bendicksen at Bing was regarded as making the best Bing DN noserider.
CNC cut blanks can have programs edited in millimeters V:S another hand shape of newer dims.
You put competent, knowledgeable finishers on them and you have controlled repeatability of a design.
I haven’t watched this video yet, but heard banter today about it

joeblackuz

Apr 15, 2005
Jim. You are the master. Unless youre really bored or want something to listen to while you shape i didnt think you would be the intended audience. Lol. I threw it up here more for all the newer members who have come in the last year or so who may not have known the dynamics of the process.

Artz

Nov 22, 2018
Florida
CNC killed the Ghost shaper. Lots of top shapers would not have a career without learning their art as a Ghosting for a big name brand.
skip Frye, Phil Becker, Al Merrick, Mike Eaton, and yes Jim Phillips. That is just a short list of the people that got their start as a Production shaper.

surfore

Mar 2, 2004
USA California
CNC killed the Ghost shaper. Lots of top shapers would not have a career without learning their art as a Ghosting for a big name brand.
skip Frye, Phil Becker, Al Merrick, Mike Eaton, and yes Jim Phillips. That is just a short list of the people that got their start as a Production shaper.
I get what you’re trying to say. Yes there are guys out there sanding cnc boards who have no templates in their rooms. Thats a different process or even a different job. The good finishers don’t get handed a cnc’d blank and say finish it off...there’s tutelage. They are taught looking at the finished shape and learn what it needs to go from the machined board to the final target. Even when there were no machines in the 60’s, but heavy output there was a production line...template, skin blank, turn rails and finish shape. Not all but there are the cnc board sanders who want to be a shaper and are getting their foot in the door who are doing their own thing at night or whatever. Though there are the bs designers sanding and posting pics who aren’t interested in the end to end process. A shaper does hand shapes and can can also turn a cnc cut into what it’s supposed to be. A craftsman surfs, designs, shapes, refines, doesn’t shape by numbers, knows why and where an additional 1/8” of tail rocker needs to be for the desired outcome, can (do it as well as someone who does the specific part of the build as their job) layup fins, glass, sand, polish, pin line, gloss color and puts his name on the board and stands behind it.

Fishy

Aug 22, 2014
When I rode Takayama boards a lot I was happy that they were machined because they make so many. Now I ride mainly Mitsven and Andreini and I appreciate that they were hand shaped because they can be tweaked for me. Bob Mitsven in particular is good a taking input on what I like and making tiny adjustments that work for me.

Guys who build board one at a time by hand are some of the last few craftsmen left in the world. There are a lot of artists, but this is functional art. Maybe woodworking is analogous.

I'm about to get a new Bing Noserider. I'm not sure if it'll be CNC'd but I suspect it will. On that one I'm happy it'll be exactly like I expect it to be. Both are good.