Craigslist flakes, phonies and fibbers....

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Couch, Jul 23, 2020.

1. dr flavors

dr flavors Active Member

Jul 21, 2019
    ca
  2. SurfOC

SurfOC Member

Jun 1, 2020
    NJ
    I use both CL and FBmarketplace for buying and selling and within the last year I have had more success with FBM. If someone sends the standard "is this item still available?" they get a thumbs up response and it usually ends there...radio silence. If someone really wants a board I am selling they are on it quick... as one of us would be. I don't meet anywhere besides my home, I'm cool with wiggle room, I always add a bit to my price and if you seem like a nice person I usually sell slightly below what I truly wanted...if you ask. I always sell cheaper to a kid or a beginner and talk a lot of people out of buying my boards if it's not the right board for them. I almost always lose money on a transaction and always lose money on vintage boards...I could care less. I just like the history, the shapes and the rides....and showing my friends my new scores. I get my money's worth in that way, :rolleyes:. When I buy I will offer more then the asking price if I really need to have it and when I don't really need to have it I use this tried and true schtick..."Hey, interested in your board, however that price is a little steep. It's a nice board and I hope you get your full asking price but if you don't I'd be happy to offer you $XXX. If you are agreeable to that then feel free to reach out at your convenience. Otherwise, good luck with the sale. Thanks." I'm telling you that sheet works wonders. If someone is wasting my time or offers something ridiculous then I will definitely play the game and jerk them around a little bit but I won't cut too deep...I'm pretty like that.

shadydave and kpd73 like this.
  3. walkingtheplank

walkingtheplank Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2004
    wherever i am
    ahhh, the ubiquitous lowballer - these douchebags waste my time to no end on both CL & FBM. fuck them all & the horses they rode in on too

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Makawaosurfer93 and kclibman like this.
  4. Sax-son

Sax-son Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2019
    Three Rivers, CA
    It seems to me that whenever I have a board that is a keeper, everyone wants to buy it. However, if I had a board that I thought was a keeper and then decided to sell it, then nobody wants to give me my price. I sold a board a few years ago that if I had just waited a couple years, I could have sold it for at least $200.00 more. Unfortunately, we all make decisions based on the moment and have to live with the consequences. Nowadays, I don't buy a surfboard that I don't plan to keep. I have to keep the numbers at a plateau because I don't want to be pressured due to space issues.

SurfOC likes this.
  5. Spritzer

Spritzer Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    So, I'm the buyer on craigslist in this instance. There's a big dharma listed for $400, No mention of cash only, firm price, or no trades, so I text the number listed saying hey if you're interested in any trades I have a 9.0 Austin and I attached a picture... No reply nothing, radio silence.Two days later the number is removed from the ad so I shoot an email asking if the board is available and get an instantaneous response..

How hard is it just to say no, not interested in trades. Or type it out in your ad, no trades.?

SurfOC likes this.
  6. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I hate to say this but... it’s no harder to reply to your trade offer than it is when you/anybody is a seller and you/anybody gets a lowball offer or any other request that one may feel is ridiculous. Just sayin:)

JMAC likes this.
  7. Spritzer

Spritzer Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    Of course, I agree, nobody is obligated to reply to anything. Wouldn't as a seller, you want to reply no thanks cash only in order to make sale? There's a difference in me offering $200 or trade for wavestorm, I thought my trade was legitimate and fair, although if you don't have interest in Austin boards I might as well been offering a piece of plywood.

SurfOC likes this.
  8. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    As a seller I always reply, it’s that easy. Never judge a book or a response by its cover.:)

SurfOC likes this.
  9. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    I used to reply to all offers, but now I don’t reply to ridiculously low offers. When people go fishing, sometimes the fish don’t bite.

SurfOC likes this.
  10. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Lowball offers never get a reply. They know what they are doing and so do I. Reasonable offers will get the "if I don't get close to my asking, you are first in line" reply.

And what is up with buyers just paying list when it is not stated that the price is firm?? I always add a bit more than what I want, that way if I get a lower offer I can take it and both the buyer and I both get what we want and walk away happy. My last two sales the buyers handed me offer $ and did not try to haggle. ??

SurfOC likes this.