Craigslist flakes, phonies and fibbers....

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Couch, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    Well @Couch I'm glad at least one Craigslist responder pissed you off. His loss, my gain. That's actually why I put in my response "If they waiver or wobble, don't put up with it" because I know how much nonsense is involved.

Couch likes this.
  2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    My neighbor has loads of stuff to sell (his wife passed away18 months ago).

He's trying to do some selling on CL but is totally frustrated. Not by potential buyers but, his own methods. He's not making very many sales.

He just does not seem to get it.

OK, it is a very nice item but, , , , , He MUST GET $220 for it, it's too good and they paid $250 for it 8 years ago!!! He was very upset with me when I told him he should try to get $100 for it. NO F'ING WAY!!!! I paid $250! Well, that may be but, I can get the exact same brand and model NEW on ebay for $190!! He thought that I was F'ing with him. LOL LOL.

3. Couch

Couch Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Santa Barbara
    Yes, Patrick you hung in there and were richly rewarded for your patience. Glad a stoked Jammer got the board....enjoy!

Couch

4. dsquare

dsquare Well-Known Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    Out in the islands we get guys asking near retail or over retail for used and older items. They seem to think they've done people a favor by having it available on island, immediately. If it's an RV (not many here, people don't want them really) or a rare car/motorcycle it sort of makes sense. But people get really upset when you point out that we could get something for only 10% more from the store. Are they going to warranty it, repair it, swap it if it broke, etc. That's why used or off-market sales are significantly cheaper- the seller has no skin in the game. A used surfboard seller can ask more because if you take it home and discover a big issue they have a reputation to uphold. The guy down the road can wave a shotgun in your face and tell you to get lost if you don't leave and the police will help him with that request if you make an issue of it.

5. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    I have had some great success on CL, but there has been the many frustrations as listed on this threade.

I think the key, like any sales,is to realize your clientele. For the majority of them, they are looking for a deal and not wanting to waste time. They (the majority) are not the type that’s going to pay good money for a good board. I mean they see “jim Phillips longboard” - sadly all they see is ‘longboard’ not realizing the craftsmanship behind it- thus the value. BUT there are ppl who are willing to pay, you just have to wait it out... most time those ppl who will pay just go to the shaper or surf shop or is here a jammer
    on the other hand, there is a learning curve with learning the type of ppl who never meet, or reply to email/text/calls... after a while you kinda figure out these ppl and learn to just move on.... and you’ll also figure out who will meet and buy. It just takes time and some head aches.. it’s almost like you can’t take anything personal on CL. I remember someone who said they were gonna stop by... then said they were 15 min away... then said they were on my street (all texts) the whole time I’m sitting out front with the board waiting... they never showed... them had the nerve to try to set up another meeting! Err I gave them the chance, but I didn’t wait around or even bring the board outside .
    As far as meetings- it’s best to get a cell phone number- make voice contact and decide on a mutual meeting place- if usually works out that way
    Anyways in all- I find it useful but it can be a headache if you don’t have it figured out.

6. justsomedude

justsomedude New Member

Feb 12, 2020
    New York
    Totally understand the frustration. I usually post on CL for things I want to get rid of quick or don't care who I'm selling to. Was hesitant to post a DVS Mini Simmons on the For Sale forum because I really didn't want to get rid of it and asking price was high on CL, but somebody found and posted on the East Coast Deals thread. Sold quicker than I thought, so maybe it was a deal.

7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    This, exactly.

My coworker drives me bonkers with CL/Letgo. He says flat out that his approach is to immediately offer half of the asking price. He acknowledges that it doesn't work most of the time, but he is hoping to find that 1-in-10 guy who just wants the thing gone and cash in hand. I tell him that he is a cheap SOB. Anytime he posts something for sale, I promptly troll him with anonymous offers for 25% or less of his asking price.

8. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    He would never even get a reply from me if he did that on any of my CL sales. I price things with the expectation that someone is going to offer less, but it's never 50 %. If they hit the number that I would accept then we are good. Making an offer sight unseen is an automatic delete of offer.

Chilly Willy likes this.
  9. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    I hate when someone posts a board for sale, and then doesn’t respond to requests to come see. If you post a board for sale, monitor your ad. There’s a board on CL I’d like to check out, but seller hasn’t responded to requests made yesterday and this morning.

DanSan likes this.
  10. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Last year I waited 6 weeks for a reply via CL email after offering cash and ability to meet within the hour. I just assumed that someone had scooped it up within a few hours, but the posting stayed up for weeks. When I did finally meet him I asked if he had been out of town or overwhelmed with interest. He said "Nah, I just don't really check my email". Gotta love OB...

Bummer Dude and justsomedude like this.