Craigslist flakes, phonies and fibbers....

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Couch, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    What! No bitcoins?!!! :)

2. shapewright

shapewright Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    People were frothing at the Swamis Club contest the year I donated that board.
    New it had to be a 1500.00 + board and now whiners want it for the buck 3eighty five.
    The sad part is the donation boards always go for less than wholesale at their events

Artz likes this.
  3. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    I know this scenario all too well. I have donated to Santa Barbara Wildlife Care Network a few times. It's really disappointing to see how little their Silent Auction fetches for a great surfboard.

4. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    And the frustrating thing is that it’s a beautiful board that surfs incredible. I’m just old with a bad back and need more foam and more stability then this board offers. If I was younger, more agile , or just a better surfer, I’d be frothing over this board. I might just give it to my nieces daughter, but it would kill me to see the abuse it would get from a beginner surfer, but for what I’m selling it for she’d pay as much for a beater. My wish is that I’d hope having such a beautiful board will teach her to have some respect for her boards. Might be a good learning experience for a grom.

5. Bonzourno

Bonzourno Active Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Capitola
    I usually price my boards with a haggling expectation, but for those who are bold enough to low ball me by text, I respond with a sarcastic “yeah right” (or some choice expletives depending upon my mood which usually has to do the quality of surf that day)

6. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    I think the real questions here is - whats for sale ???

joepoko and michael like this.
  7. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I've done well with those who actually show up from CL. Almost invariably, they'll ask if I can sell for around $25 lower, and I'll usually agree. Probably should build that discount into the price I ask.

8. Bruce Fowler

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Good point.

Hmmm, IF you were on a remote island with 100 other surfers, perfect waves and only ONE SURFBOARD on the entire island to buy. WHAT would you pay for it?

9. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    3.5 coconuts, just to get outbid by a wealthier surfer offering 4 coconuts and a hand job

10. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    I have had success on CL with a long list of absolutes. To the point I feel like Frances in the movie Stripes and Sgt. Hulka says to me, "lighten up Frances".