Craigslist flakes, phonies and fibbers....

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Couch, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Couch

Couch Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Santa Barbara
    So done with Craigslists! Tried to use it, tried to like it, keep dealing with flakes and phonies and low ballers. Three scenarios seem to emerge over time consistently:
    Selling:
    1. "Love it, got to have it...." OK, PayPal or Venmo to....then radio silence.....

2. "OK, when can I see the board/pick it up?" Today, tomorrow is good......then radio silence...

3. Guy shows up after you clearly stated 'price is firm, bring cash...' "O'h would you take ____ for it? No. I won't. Thanks for wasting my time!

Buying:

1. Board is "mint/perfect" like new condition: show up and it has a delam, broken fin box or other serious injury.

2. Hey, I will buy it...when can we meet for a pick up? Hey, me again, are you around to meet for sale of your board? Hey, dude....is your board for sale or has it sold?

3. Nothing at all....no reply, no anything but still posted as live on CL

I know many of you Jammers use it as well and may have had good luck with solid transactions but my experiences leave much to be desired.

Couch

2. Spritzer

Spritzer Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    Selling #3 is my favorite, I just don't get it, the price is the price, I'm not changing my mind because you're here.

OfferUp has been working great for me, way better than CL, I know some areas don't have a very active OfferUp though.

kclibman likes this.
  3. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Soquel,CA
    My last 6 have been golden..CL wise..
    But oh man i hear ya..years ago...crazy low ballers..
    But it also used to happen here..too

Anyway..sorry to hear that..
    Im sure a jam brother..will treat ypu better..

I had a great interaction with tom for the 2nd big speedhull..
    And anothet jammer for my 7.10 torren twin..
    And another for my yellow 8.0 fowler..
    Keep the faith here..

4. Ricksurfin

Ricksurfin Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2019
    San Clemente, CA
    I’m going through it right now with the Phillips. Getting numerous emails with low balls to which I don’t even respond to, people saying there coming but don’t, or one you didn’t mention, the people that ask if you can deliver it to their out of town location.
    My biggest problem with selling though, is that when I want something gone I want it gone now, and I tend to be my own worst enemy selling way too cheap.

Surfertom, kclibman and DanSan like this.
  5. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Soquel,CA
    Dude
    That is a deal.
    Fuckem

6. bobsacamano

bobsacamano New Member

Jul 16, 2020
    Bay Area
    I always put price firm, cash only, in person only. If someone shows up to check it out and offers me a little less, I'll usually take it. If someone emails me and lowballs or immediately haggles they get a 'Price is firm' response.

7. waveslider619

waveslider619 Active Member

Sep 8, 2017
    SD
    Put it up on CL and wait, answer the interested ones that you think are serious and then wait some more eventually the buyer will appear with cash in hand.

8. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Dislike in person haggling. If you’re coming to my house to pick up, the deal better be done already.

9. bobsacamano

bobsacamano New Member

Jul 16, 2020
    Bay Area
    I hate trying to haggle via email/text, at least see it if you're going to offer less. I price boards fairly and there usually isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. The last few I've sold, I got asking price with no issue.

FalseDawn likes this.
  10. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I'm the opposite. I don't respond to text/email haggling. If you haven't seen the board yet in person how can you know if it has flaws or what the true value is? In person, when you're holding the board under your arm and notice something you don't like.. sure I'll play ball then.